Sunday, November 13, 2016

of why I love Wolverine

I connect with Wolverine in ways I can't always explain. He is my favorite character EVER along with Storm! He taught me a lot when I was growing up and while I feel sad that today people only keep the lonesome angry animal, I can't stress it out enough. He's more than just an angry animal. (when well written)
Sure, he's a huge walking metaphor. We have a man who at some point in his already complicated (shitty) life, was experimented on, dehumanized and basically forced to return to some animalistic behavior. He ran with the wolves, hunted, lost himself. He was broken! Although he healed, there is still this part of him (the anger of having been reduced to a beast, the fact he lived for so long like this and kept some habits, his past traumas as well and the powerlessness he might have felt every single time he went to war. He did them all after all. We also have a man who makes mistakes or tries to fix other people mistakes too. 
But he's a wise man too. He traveled the world, opened up to other cultures, connected with so many people and constantly shares his knowledge with others. I remember when he comforted Storm after she "killed" Marrow. His words echoed within me even today and it's one of my favorite panels with these two. He's loyal, he's fierce and he is a great mentor. He's a man who despite the darkness and ugliness of the world he lived in and experienced..... he's a man who still fights the good fight.
He could have turned bitter (and had), could have given up (and had for a short while), could have kept his anger in the world and distress (but he didn't). He could have remained a loner (but found a family), even gave his heart several times (Mariko, Jean, Storm..) and found a way to still do good while all he has are lethal claws and indestructible skeleton. He was a broken man who built himself back up and turned everything ugly that happened to him into something beautiful.
Yes, he's gruff and had rough edges, but he also has a loving heart. A kind, compassionate and wise heart. I wish we could see more of this side of him. Of him comforting and teaching both Kitty and Jubilee, of him being in Storm's life, supporting her, helping her, comforting her when she needs it. I could have more to say about him, but I gave you a glimpse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment