Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Doya: Thinking of you


Doya: Thinking of you

A/N: Just been thinking of Doya. First-person for a change.


XXXX

Hey Dean..”

My voice tore apart the silence that had settled in Baby. I am leaning against the door, with the window down so my heavy black locks could freely whip the hair as you drive. My gaze is set up on you. Your emerald eyes are focused on the road, but your shoulders are relaxed. One hand is holding the wheel while the other is mind-absently stroking my thigh. You turn to glance at me before a grin creeps on your lips. I know it's coming, the clever come-back, and I am waiting quietly. Before I spoke, my thoughts had been focused on my family. Just a moment ago, we've been at a motel where a family of 4 were taking breakfast at the motel's “restaurant”. 4.. just like my own family and just like yours. We didn't say anything, but seeing them had me thinking.

It's been a few years now since my family was slaughtered by grief and monsters. I carry the guilt of their deaths on my shoulders. I carry the pain from my loss in my heart and there are days that are harder than others. For example birthdays, family holidays, they all turned sour for me and I try my best to avoid these days.. or work a case if I'm lucky. It helps when you're focused on saving lives rather than on your own miserable past. Shit, we've been through a lot, haven't we? I learned to live with it, with the heartbreaking desire to see them again and the selfish need for a hug. Did you know we used to hug each other before and after each case we worked on? We were so close.. and yet, and yet I have forgotten the sound of their voices. I have forgotten their scent. I have forgotten a lot of details but not the endless love I have for them. I remember how guilty I felt when it first happened.. when it was my father's voice I couldn't recall...I remember you were there, by my side and you comforted me in a way only you can.

What's up, Oya?” -You finally reply to me.-

As I lean further into my seat, I give you a soft smile. I feel my heart soar in my chest, beating harder against the ribcage. I simply put my hand above the one on my thigh and stroke the skin of the back of your hand, silently letting you know that I am here with you, living the moment. I have been thinking a lot lately, as you can see. I have been thinking of what I wanted my family to know if they could hear me speak out loud. I wanted them to realize that I was safe, in a new family who loved me. I wanted them to know that they didn't have to worry about me because I wasn't alone. I never was, even when I was hunting on my own. I had a place to return to, someone to return to. someone who loved me too. I was content with my life, the dangerous and miserable hunter's life but the duty of those like us who could see past the glamour of the beasts. We saved people together and I wanted my family to know that I had found my home. I wanted you to know that I had found my home in you. So I decide to answer you.

It's mom's birthday today.”

Is it?” instantly, your tone shifts and you become concerned and serious once again. I sigh and stroke your hand some more. “Are you okay?”

Yeah....I'm okay. Today, of all days, I am okay.” -You nod and look back at the road.- “I spoke to her.. through a little prayer if you will.”

You pray?” -There you go, teasing me a little so you could defuse the tension that had settled in the car. I gently poke your arm and shake my head,-

You know I don't pray, dickhead. I just.. wanted to speak to her, tell her I'm okay. Tell her I'm happy.” I insist on the last word, my fingers finally entwining with yours. You let me do, eyes still on the road but I can see your jaw clenching.

Are you...happy?” -The words escape your lips at a painfully slow pace but you finally say them. You finally ask me if I'm happy with you. So I grab your hand and take it to my lips so I can press them against your skin.

I am happy with you.” -I start with.- “I told mom not to worry about her baby girl because she found her new family. I told her that you made me smile and I knew that would make her frown and then laugh out loud. I wasn't the type to smile, even before all those tragedies.” -I confess with an embarrassed chuckle before I sigh deeply. You ponder my words, so I take advantage of and keep talking. “I told her that I made plans.. actual plans with you. I'm not just talking about cases....I'm not just talking about settling in the bunker..I'm talking about...living forever with you. Facing everything together.”

I hold your hand tighter. I smile and look away, this time turning my body so I could press it against the door and avoid eye contact with you. My cheeks are burning since I am blushing and you can feel it, you can see it on me. I always have a crooked smile and I look down whenever I'm embarrassed. I can see you hold my hand tighter, entwining your fingers with mine in a loving embrace. You're here with me, at this moment and I know that you heard me well.

What do you want me to say, Oya?”

N--”

What do you want me to say except that, long before we met, I wasn't really lucky? I always had to give up part of who I was, to have half the happiness I had. I thought that maybe the apple pie life wasn't for me. You said it yourself, the hunter's life is a miserable life, we lose everything we hold dear and for a while, I didn't want to face it with you.” -I swallowed hard and slowly turn to look at you.-

You're staring at me, eyes bright and wet from emotion. Of course, you wouldn't want that. Who would want to risk losing their minds and hearts? I know how it is. I had the same doubts, the same issues too. Why would I allow myself to fall in love with you and take the risk to suffer because you'd die? Why do you think I'm plagued with nightmares about your death? I wouldn't survive you if you left before me... how could I? When you're my one true love?

But you did.” I point out as softly as possible. I feel honored you chose me, despite the odds against us. I feel honored you went through with it.


But I did and I don't regret it. Am I scared? Fuck yes, I am. I'm scared that something happens to you and it did... it did and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to kill whatever nearly killed you.” -You growl and then bring my hand to your lips so you could kiss the back of my hand. “I let you in and I don't regret it, O. I don't. I won't. You bring me ugly aprons, you text me often, you care for me, you love Sammy and Cas...you let me show off in the kitchen and you bring me guns and blades from the finest blacksmiths you know. You care if I'm injured if I'm sad if I'm happy and I'm not even talking about how sexy you are. I didn't expect you, but I am happy you're here.”

And you clear your throat and put some radio on as if you've mic dropped me. I am left speechless and I just look at you as you keep driving us away. I tuck some hair behind my ear and simply lean back onto the chair. If mom could hear us -and I chose to believe she did-, she would see why I said I plan to live my whole life with you. She would see the love that was raging in my hazel eyes and the joy that was overflowing my heart. She would see...

Hey Dean...” I say again. You shrug your shoulders to let me know you're listening.”I feel the same way for you and mom knows that. Mom knows that... that's why I'm okay today, of all days..”

-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment