Sunday, February 17, 2019

GoT: Family (Jon x Bäahal)


GoT: Family (Jon x Bäahal)

A/N: Because it's bound to happen, here's my take on that moment she learns he is family.

xxxxxx


The night was young, but already the sharp claws of winter clutched at the princess' body. She didn't expect to hear a knock on her door. She threw around her slender frame a fur coat and opened the door, half-expecting Lord Varys or Lord Tyrion to be at the other side of it. Her purple hues grew wide as she realized it was Commander Snow who was standing in front of her. She cleared her throat, bit her tongue and planted her purple eyes into his black orbs. What was he doing here? She tried to remember the last time he actually spent time with her, it was a long time ago when he was trying to convince Daenerys that he was sincere and honest about the Wrights. Ever since Jon had spent most of his time with her sister.

« Daenerys isn't with me Lo—Jon Snow. » She said, half expecting he was looking for her sister. « I believe she's in her room, which is on the other side of the castle. »

« I know where she is. I wasn't looking for her, your grace. » He started with, his eyes still staring at her. « I wanted to talk to you. Can I come in? »

« Me ?... » She was dumbfounded and for a minute, broke the eye contact with Jon. She lowered her head, shifted her eyes from left to right before she returned to her bed and let the door open. « Suit yourself. »

What could he possibly want to talk about? Her heart started to race, the unknown felt terrifying for a mere second. Maybe he found out she was upset by Jaime Lannister's departure and wanted to scold her for feeling something for the enemy? Maybe he realized she had been withdrawn since the war against the Night King and wanted to understand what was going on. She cursed herself for this, for eventually making people worry about her but truth be told, how else could she react to what she witnessed when they fought Death itself? She sat on her bed and held onto the sheets as he sat on the chair near her vanity. Silence had settled between the two of them, an uncomfortable one filled with unasked questions and dread for the answers. Bäahal moistened her plump lips and knitted her brows together.

« What is it about, Jon ?... » -Her voice was light, almost a whisper as her purple hues once again stared at Jon's black ones.-

« We haven't had the time to talk since.....Dragonspit. I did apologize for Viserion's death to your sister, but not to you personally. »Ah! Viserion. He wanted to talk about Viserion? She shook her head vehemently and put her hand to her heart.

« It wasn't your fault. His life was to end at this moment and I know he did his best to protect me....to protect you. I... I miss him every day, Jon, but we were fighting Death itself...I am just glad he now can finally rest in peace. » She took a deep breath and looked away from Jon so he wouldn't see the fresh unshed tears that formed against her eyes.

« I am sorry Bäahal...You've been different since then. » He did notice she was different since the loss of Viserion. The change was subtle, but it was there. Her brows were still knitted as she looked at him, feeling remorseful. « I can't help but feel responsible for it. »

« It isn't your fault. » She repeated as she moved her hand towards his. « I hold no grief against you. Besides, you survived, what more could I ask for? » She chuckled and patted the back of his hand. « You make my sister happy, I can see it. » A faint smile crept on her lips. « I can feel it in the way she's looking at you or the tone of her voice when she's talking about you. » She tapped the tip of her nose and then looked at their hands. « And this connection is important to me as well... »

« Princess... I didn't come here just to talk about Viserion. » His face, which lit up for a moment and allowed a smile to cross his lips, became stern again and he took a deep breath. « I am the bearer of grave news... »

« Is Lord Jaime Dead? » She instinctively asked, before she heard her words and blushed hard. « Nevermind if he's dead, right ?... » She quickly added but it sounded so fake that it left Jon perplexed for a minute.

« No. It has nothing to do with Jaime Lannister. »

Her question was out of pocket to say the very least. The way she asked it, the concern in her tone betrayed her true emotions. Jon wasn't stupid, he knew already that the princess was attached to their enemy in ways he couldn't understand. He knew she was forcing herself to accept the current situation they were in and her devotion to the queen was unquestionable. He just found it very unfortunate that the woman's first free choice was to fall onto their very enemy and someone he'd rather see dead than alive. She recoiled at the corner of the bed, feeling ashamed of her own outburst but unwilling to confirm it as being true, she quickly said.

« Then, please, tell me what it is about because I have no clue. You come here in the middle of the night, asking to talk to me? Is it something you haven't told Daenerys yet? » -Jon shook his head-

« She's aware of the situation. You were the second person I had to inform. »

« I see... I am listening, Jon. » She said, swallowing a lump. Her fingers fidgeted with the helm of her dress as she didn't know what to do with her hands. Jon cleared his throat and decided to say things as they were, without artifices.

«My brother Bran is a seer now. His visions revealed my true lineage. I am a Stark, believe it or not, son of Lyanna Stark...and.... » He paused for a second preparing himself to say the rest of his sentence but Bäahal beat him to it.

« Rhaegar Targaryen...You are a Targaryen as well... » She whispered, her eyes grew wider than before and she put her hand against the warm lips of hers. Jon was nervous, she could tell by his body language. He was tense because he didn't know how she would react. Daenerys accepted him, but he knew she needed time to adjust, especially since he potentially could claim the throne for himself. He assured the queen he wasn't looking for it and didn't want to sit on the Iron Throne and she seemed to believe him, which wasn't certain with Bäahal.

« Yes, I am. » Was all he could say.

Silence settled for what seemed an eternity. It wasn't per se, just a few seconds spent without a word said by any of them. Bäahal was staring at her sibling, her eyes still wide as a shock was washing through her whole being. It implied a lot, Jon being a sibling that was. For someone who had been a slave, a product of a violent act and an orphan at an early age, she found a sister in Daenerys and now a nephew in Jon Snow. Bäahal was one of the very first to accept Jon when he first came to Dragonspit. She believed him and convinced Daenerys to eventually listen to him. She was the first to show him support and while their relationship took a turn when Viserion died, she was fond of him still. She had always been from the moment they met and that strange connection she felt months ago was now justified, explained, understood. It was blood. Blood acknowledged blood and he was her kin.

« How did they name you? » She asked, her eyes now lit with a flame he had not seen before.

« Aegon...but I'd go by Jon because that's who I am. » He insisted, to which she nodded.

« Of course, Jon... » She stood up and walked towards him. He wanted to stand up but she shook her head and sat on her knees in front of him. She held his hands and smiled at him, a large and loving smile. Maybe one of relief.

« Are you... upset? » He asked, uncertain of how she took it. She seemed to be rather content with the news.

« No.. not at all... » She said with a smile. « Actually, I am very happy because my family keeps on growing. You are my brother, and because of the blood you share with Sansa, Bran, and Aria, they are my siblings as well...for someone who spent her life alone since mother died, I have found more than I could have asked for. » She leaned her forehead against his hands and pressed a few kisses on the back of them. « You're my family Jon. I accept you, I accept the news, I accept everything... » She unwillingly sobbing.

« You are as well... » He let out. « You've always been accepting of me from the start. I couldn't leave you in the dark since I learned the truth. You are family, always have been from the moment you accepted me. Now, things are just more...official. » She nodded and pulled away from his hands. « Please, your grace, do not cry. »

« Those are tears of joy, Jon... Tears of Joy. » She said as she wiped them off of her face and slowly stood back up. « I am grateful you decided to tell me the truth. Thank you. » The princess added while she wiped her tears away. Jon stood up and nodded.

« Of course. I couldn't keep you in the dark. Especially not when it's a family matter. I am relieved you chose to take the new well. I said to Dany that I wasn't challenging her, the Iron Throne doesn't interest me. I wanted to assure you that I would not try and take the crown from her. »

« I believe you Jon Snow... » She said with a smirk and gently patted his arm while she was busy wiping the tears off of her face. « Would you be so kind and leave my room so I can get myself back together? »

« Yes, I would. » He said as he walked towards the door. « But, princess...I believe we'll have to talk again. You don't seem to be doing very well. »

« War... what you see is the result of it. » She quickly said as she followed him to the door. « Let's make it a conversation for another day, Jon. »

« yes, let's make it so. » He said with a faint smile on his lips. He was concerned, she could tell by the way he was looking at her but he was relieved she chose to welcome him too and Bäahal wanted it to be the last memory of the night. Just when they were about to say goodbye, the princess pulled him into a hug, which first shocked him, and then made him smile. He wrapped his arms around her frame and planted a kiss on top of her head. « Goodnight Princess. »

« Goodnight Jon. » She said as she pulled away and closed the door behind her.



-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment