Friday, February 5, 2021

Doya: conversation between the Thomas -Aftermath-

 Doya: conversation between the Thomas -Aftermath-

 

 

A/N: A little insight into how others perceive the power couple and the aftermath of the bloody hunt that left Joshua paralyzed.

 

 

XXXX

 

 

« Ah! Finally, you're here!  I'm sorry Josh, the kids weren't supposed to be around now»

 

 

 

Sarah's warm voice echoed through the walls of the patio. It was a beautiful day, the-cloudless-blue-sky-kind-of-day with a bit of a fresh breeze. The tall blonde woman watched as her twin girls were playing with their uncle's chair and shook her head and crossed her arms against her chest. She was glad to see her brother was recovering from his attack and was happy to see him smile. Sarah feared the toll it could take on her brother’s psyche. Joshua was the hunter of the family, the one who took after their parents work. He took the job seriously but was able to find some joy in helping the world getting rid of the monstrous threat. He was a man of the field but with his injuries, he would never be able to go back to the field, lest he wanted to be killed. For now, he was laughing, enjoying the simple things in life, but Sarah wasn’t sure he would keep going without at least preparing for his next hunt.

 

 

 

« It's okay Sarah. I'm fine. I love the girls you know that. » He said while smiling at the toddlers. Who waved at him for a minute before they started to play together. Sarah smirked and looked at the garden. « I just needed a moment to appreciate the weather. It's a nice day today. »

 

 

« It is... I'm glad you were able to wheel yourself here. I.....I promised Oya I would take care of you, and I'm glad to see you're not exhausting yourself » She grinned and walked closer to him.

 

 

« You're being good to me, Sarah. I'm glad I can stay here and enjoy my nieces and my family... » His face became somber for a minute. « it's a miracle that I survived when you think of it... » He let his bandaged hand touch his bandaged torso. « I was... I would have died.. I should have died but I didn't. » He sighed deeply and curled his fingers into a fist.

 

 

« I am grateful you didn't... You're alive and this is the most important Josh. » Sarah sighed and grabbed one of her kids she carried in her arms. « I truly believed you were dead, I was losing my mind. » She let a tear roll down her cheek and then another. «I think that it hit me harder than I want to admit. » Her toddler started to rub her mother's cheek, wiping out the tears. « I'm fine baby, mom's fine. »

 

 

« Hey, Sarah could you stop crying? » He grinned at his sister and wheeled himself closer to her. «  of course, it hit your hard, we lost mom and Dad... you were about to lose me. It's okay, it's normal. » He held her hand with his and squeezed gently. « But I'm alive today. Crippled, but it doesn't matter because I can live and tell the tale. » He smiled broadly. « I can spend more time with my family, make my own family with Stephanie... spend time with Oya.. »

 

 

« Jo--- You love hunting. Don't you think you're going to be frustrated because you can't be on the field again? »

 

 

« Why are you bitter for me? You're thinking way too hard, way too much, Sarah. I'm fine. I might not be able to be on the field anymore but Oya and Dean can... »

 

 

« I can’t help but be worried. I guess that’s what a sister does.” She tried to smile at him, but her heart wasn’t ready for this. Joshua understood and didn’t want her to pretend she was fine when she wasn’t. he turned his wheelchair so he could stare at the garden again while his sister put her left hand on his shoulder and squeezed gently. She wouldn’t contest his claim nor would she want to further the conversation about his health and future. There was a time and place to worry about things, and her brother was making a spectacular recovery. Not so long ago he was loaded with tubes and now he was able to breathe on his own and move on his own. Still, the doctors told her to be careful with him and make sure he does the minimum possible, hence why she was always by his side.  The kids didn’t mind which state he was on, they recognized this bandaged man as their uncle and played with him regardless, which soothed his heart.

 

“Fine. Speaking of these two. How—how did that first encounter with Dean Winchester go?” She asked a tiny hint of some curiosity hid in her tone. Joshua lifted his head to look at her and chuckled.

 

“He’s even better than in the stories. I was surprised he came to see me since we’re just acquaintances of his girlfriend.”

 

“We’re more than that, Josh. We’re her family. Of course, he’d come.” She grinned at her words. “Oya wouldn’t have chosen someone who didn’t care for her family.”

 

“Oh yeah? Do tell me what I’ve missed when I was in a coma.” He leaned against her belly and she gently ran her hand over his hair.

 

“I told you I lost my mind. I didn’t know what to do, but I wanted to avenge you. I’m not a hunter, I’m not a field person anymore, but I knew that if I called Oya, she would come. So I called her.”

 

“How did she react when she knew what happened?” He inquired; his eyes half-closed as he was getting exhausted.”

 

“She was devastated. I could tell just by the tone of her voice, but it was when I saw her that I realized, she was as lost as I was. Josh, Oya loves you very much. I saw her cry, I saw her shake and I saw Dean comfort her when she saw you.” Sarah’s eyes quickly filled with unshed tears as she spoke. “But she was stronger than me and quickly pulled herself together. She went with Dean and the two of them investigated on your case. They gave me support when I needed it. Getting to know what attacked you and knowing it was put to Death was…” She paused and ran her fingers on her brother’s hair a little faster.

 

“I knew it. I knew she loved us enough to come when we would need her the most. “ He smiled to himself. “I have missed her. I know the life we chose kinda forces things to be that way but seeing her at the hospital was… it honestly felt good.” He wiped the tears that had rolled over his cheek. “Feeling her warm hand on mine, feeling her tears on my skin… she was there, with you and Stephanie and Dean.” Sarah nodded and let her daughter wipe her tears off of her face while whispering she was okay.

 

“Dean is truly attached to her. He cares a lot. They work well together, and I’m not worried anymore about her. She’s happy with him.”

 

“Happy? How do you know? She was extremely emotional when you saw her.”

 

“She let him touch her hand. She let him pull her into a hug. She let him in, Josh. She let him in.”

 

Joshua nodded at his sister’s words. If Oya was allowing anyone to get close to her, let alone touch her when she felt the most vulnerable, then she was loving this person. Then she trusted this person. There was nothing else to say but to accept that she chose her soulmate and was happy with him. Oya had the life she wanted to. She was still on the job, still hunting monsters and saving people but she was doing it with her soulmate. She was building her own family -or even better, she made this family her own- He liked Dean, for the short while he saw him at the hospital. Dean wasn’t full of shit like most hunters were, he wasn’t full of himself, he was just doing the job he was good at and didn’t need praises to do it.

 

It felt strange for Joshua, for he expected Dean to be a jerk, or to talk about his feats to people. No, Dean was much simpler than that. He was just a man who was doing his job, who was caring for his family, who wanted to protect people, who loved Oya. Nothing more, nothing less. The youngest Thomas knew that his sister was in good hands because Dean would care for her. He would not break her heart, at least, not intentionally. That felt good, for both Thomas. That felt well earned, after a life made of misery and pain. He was making her happy and that was the most important.

 

“It seems that she’s finally happy. It seems that she’s stopped tiptoeing around her feelings for this man. Good.”

 

“I guess so. What lies in the future is still not accessible for the likes of us, but I still pray that she will finally rest her soul.” But Sarah knew her prayer to be in vain. In their line of work, living a life without pain and regret was something that rarely occurred, if not never.  Joshua looked up at her and held her hand tightly. He wouldn’t add anything to what she’d just said. He could only pray with her that the life Oya chose would now bring her some comfort and joy. Perhaps it would… they’d pray it would.

 

-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment