Monday, July 5, 2021

Cyberbullying and the desire to be validated

 I've been wondering why people would spend/devote their time hating on a piece of entertainment/ a director/ an actor/ a comic book artist. It's one thing to dislike a piece of art (or eventually an actor's performance) but the way some people are unable to just let these people be is astoundingly scary. 

As I grew up, I was caught in the spiral of bashing Rob Liefield's art. yes, aesthetically it didn't appeal to me but did it warrant the torrent of hatred and mockery he suffered for decades? but for a few years, as a teenager, I just did it because I thought it was "harmless" and I was expressing my opinion. turned out, I was wrong. there's nothing about "expressing" an opinion if every moment of my life, I keep bashing this guy whatever he did. 

that made me think and life made me realize that it's one thing to express a dislike and another to become literally obsessed with the person. the second is unhealthy.  I've tuned out of this as soon as I realized it was giving me nothing but a headache and instead decided that if the conversation leads to comparing arts, talking about the art I don't like then and only then I would talk about the piece of art I don't like.  

but the things I see honestly make me wonder why people go to extremes just because they don't like a piece of art. when you take a step back and look at all the things "fans" did:  to the cast of Star Wars prequels (driving the actor of Jar Jar to suicidal thoughts/attempts. bullying the little boy who played Anakin as a kid etc..), or what they did to Ghostbuster (2016), or how they sent death threats and bullied Sony over Spider-man (when there were issues with the contract of Tom Holland and we didn't know if he would reprise his role in future MCU movies) or the way some reacted to BvS, the sudden "shock" over Nolan and Tenet (which surprises me honestly, don't they know Nolan?), the witch hunt towards Snyder (and those people tweeting about his daughter's death, gatekeeping, etc..). 

I see people losing their minds because in an adult brand of DC we see the bat dick (so what?), they also lose their minds about Bat tonguing (yet have no qualms when it comes to sexual assault and violence towards women), lose their minds when you have LGBTQIA+ characters and stories told from their perspectives. lose their minds when an illustrator or a writer they don't like join in (I'm excluding belligerent personalities like Ethan Van Sciver on purpose. I'm talking about Jason Aaron for example or even Gail Simone). 

I mean, it goes beyond just not being happy with the choice or being upset about a decision. yeah, I was upset about Batman not being able to marry Catwoman but come on... does it warrant me ranting over and over and over about it or try and destroy the writer's career over a decision?  I don't understand and I wonder if social media make people more hostile or if the times allow for people to want their vision to be "the" vision so they could feel validated? 

I wonder and I look inside myself as well. it took me a while to accept that yes, I despise the X-men movies and would never love the work of Bryan Singer. I had a little bit of joy with First class but way too many decisions didn't please me (Darwin!!) and I LOVED Logan.  I used to be so upset that every single day I would be ranting about the movies but in the end, I just decided to move on. they're not canon for me. I still have my books and cartoons and if this helped people get into the books I love, then good for all of us, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment