Monday, July 5, 2021

there is nothing wrong with a craving for kindness

 There is nothing wrong with a craving for kindness, affection, comfort, and cuteness in your life. Yes, cuteness.

I have noticed that society as a whole -and I'm only speaking in terms of a patriarchal society since it's the one I know best.- often tends to dismiss the need for softness. 

We have to take into consideration that the hyper-masculinity model taught at a young age to males (and which also influences people who identify as such) often relegates everything soft and sweet to females and associates it with weakness. Therefore, men aren't encouraged to express those feelings and are frowned upon whenever they do. "Don't be soft." "You don't need romance" "You are giving your partner too much." (This could also translate into same-sex relationships since those models aren't exclusive to heterosexuality).

But the truth is, WE DO NEED IT AND IT IS OKAY! 

Indeed it is! Why would we refuse ourselves to be recipients or to be the provider of affectionate gestures? why would we deny ourselves the pleasure to give and receive love? a hug? a kiss? a tender moment doing something we like in the company of a person we care about regardless of the type of relationship? why would we reject it altogether? 

But more importantly, why do we dismiss the urge to have some? There is nothing wrong to think "Oh I miss hugs and I want to have some." or "I am thinking about giving this thing to that person because I know they would appreciate it." or "I could really just kiss that person right now because I want to, or hold their hand or maybe just cuddle."

Sure! it does suck a little bit when you realize you can't have it when you want it. -person might not be around, you might be single, etc.- But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I know it can boggle the mind of people who don't have this issue and I'm not writing an essay here so I'm brushing the topic over with a large stroke but, I do believe that it's okay to want something nice for a change or crave for it. I feel very sad whenever someone beats themselves up because they had a "moment of weakness" (it really isn't a moment of weakness!), myself included actually.  Anyway, this came from a bigger conversation I had a couple of days ago about the relationship with affection some people had. 

bottom line: It's really okay and I hope you can have it when you crave it ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment