Saturday, March 4, 2023

Unnamed girl's groove: Why do you sing?

Unnamed girl's groove: Why do you sing?


// It's been a while since I wrote about my girl, so here you are. 


"Why did you say that in your last interview?"  -Dotty, Sara's manager lit a cigarette and inhaled some smoke. She had tied her blonde locks in a ponytail and was wearing a blue dress and sunglasses-


"What about it?" -Sara asked. Since they were outside and Sara wanted incognito, she had not hidden her freckles with heavy make-up and she was wearing a heavy pair of sunglasses.  She tapped her fingers against the table, a telltale sign of her anxiety-


"You are supposed to inspire people. you're a star, Sara. you can't just say that you became a singer because you wanted to be loved."


"But it's the truth, Dot. I became a singer because I wanted to be loved. I'm an orphan, they already know it." 


It was just a sentence but it was enough for her manager to be worried about the repercussion of her statement. She already had to damage control the revelation that Unnamed Girl was an orphan. The information in itself actually increased Sara's popularity. Suddenly she became a self-made woman who had a rough childhood. Still, it opened a pandora's box and people wanted to know more about her. Dotty had to make sure the information got buried just so people wouldn't try to dig up painful memories. Sara's parents were murdered but on top of it all, they used their daughter to achieve their goal and the fact Sara had never known a normal childhood.  Dotty didn't want them to harass Sara and she managed to do just that, but with the interview that came out today? Her efforts were ruined.  


"That doesn't mean that you have to feed the flames, darling! Listen. They would try to know what happened to you and I don't want them to snoop around and dig up some dirt."


"Dirt? What do you call dirt, Dot?" -Sara furrowed her brows and tilted her head to the side- "Is it the fact my parents had stolen from Vaught? Is it the fact I discovered their bodies? or is it the fact I grew up in an orphanage and the only time people liked me was when I was singing? Is it what you call dirt? The abuse at the hands of my parents? The abuse at the orphanage?" 


"Calm down...Sara. That's not what I meant. You know people, they would use your words against you. They are vultures who feed on your pain and I don't want you to have a meltdown. That's all. you were supposed to say that you sing because you've always loved it."


"If I had my way I would have said that I sing because I want to be loved and I can only get it when I'm singing! If I had my way, I would have said that I am an attention whore because I don't know what it is to have someone who genuinely loves you! My parents used me! Nobody loved me at the orphanage, they made me feel like I was a burden! I am fucking lonely, Dotty! that's the truth here! I'm lonely and I sing to feel less alone! If I had my way, I would have said it, but I just said that I want to be loved. So piss off!" -She groaned and hit the table with her fist. 


Dotty pulled her sunglasses off of her and looked at the young woman. She took a sip of her drink and then watched Sara start to tuck her hair behind her ears. She was stressed out and Dotty wanted to comfort her. The words Sara said hurt the older woman who didn't know how to react but she put her hand on Sara's leg and leaned forward so the singer could see her. Sara stopped moving and looked at the blonde woman. her lips trembled and she nodded quietly.  Her right hand slowly came down and rested on top of her manager. They stayed silent for a while but it worked and Sara was able to relax. Perhaps, the interview wasn't that bad of an idea. 


-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment