Saturday, October 13, 2018

Bäahal x Daenerys : Like mother, like daughter, like sisters

A/ N: I think I am obsessed with kitchens aha! I just had this little moment with these two bonding over cooking! I hope you'll like.

XXXX


Missandei ran towards Daenery's chambers as fast as she could. Her heart was racing and beating hard against her ribcage and she could barely contain her smile. She wanted to find the queen as soon as possible and witness a moment she never thought would come. After a war council, Daenerys quickly left the council room of Winterfell and went back to her chambers. They were trying to recover from the blow Cersei gave them by not sending them her army to help against the Night King. Suddenly, they had to rethink their strategy since they were short on men and many were upset about the usurper's lack of decency. Daenerys was upset, on top of everything she could blame Cersei for, the fact she couldn't keep her word added to the long list of reasons to be angry for. There was a lot to think of, a lot to do and even at this moment, she still had not found the time to mourn for the loss of her son or talk to her sister about it. Bäahal became withdrawn following Viserion's death. If she wasn't the talkative type during meetings, she became even more of a ghost after her dragon died. The only moments she interacted with the queen, Missandei or even Jon snow were when they addressed her directly. Otherwise, she remained cold as a stone and only focused on helping Daenerys.

It wasn't good. What kind of sister would she be if she didn't at least try to comfort her sister? Losing Viserion was a huge blow for Daenerys because he was her son, her blood but she had a war to lead and many enemies to defeat and this filled her mind so she didn't have to think too much of the pain induced by the thought of her lost son. However, for Bäahal, things were different. Viserion adopted her as soon as he saw her and with his help, she started to open up to those around her, Jon Snow and of course, Daenerys herself. It was a joy to have her around because underneath the cold exterior was a sweet and soft heart. Dany discovered the talent Bäahal had with dancing, how skillfully she moved and could use it at her advantage when it came to throwing knives. She learned Bäahal loved legends and myths and was even good at singing. The two of them even sang an old Folksong about the children of the forest and giants.

« Your grace! Your grace, please, you should come to the kitchen with me. » Missandei was panting as she stopped by the door.

« What is this about Missandei? » Her purple hues looked up and stared at Missandei who had a hand against her chest. « You look as if you've seen a ghost. »

« I cannot say anything, your grace. Could you please come with me? Princess Bäahal has something to show you. »

«Bäahal? »

Daenerys didn't wait for Missandei's answer and quickly stood up. She followed her through the dark hallways of Winterfell palace and quickly arrived at the kitchen where there was nobody but the silver princess. She was wearing the handmaid's attires and had braided her hair to be more comfortable manoeuvering around the kitchen. The queen widely opened her eyes as she saw her sister skillfully chopped vegetables before she turned to look at Daenerys and gave her a shy but real smile.

« Here you are. What took you so long, Dany? »

« …..B-Büu ?? » The sweet nickname she gave Bäahal barely crossed her lips as Missandei quietly closed the door behind her, leaving the sisters alone. « What is it about? »

«Mother. » The ebony half-Targaryen cleared her throat and gently tucked some rebellious locks behind her ears. « Mother used to say that the best way to someone's heart is to their stomach. » She gave another coy smile and a soft chuckle. « She also said that sometimes, when one was sad, a good meal could soothe their pain. » She then took an apron and handed it to Daenerys. « I don't... I don't quite know how to say this, Daenerys but thinking of my mother forced me to face a few things I'd rather bury deep. » She sighed. « I don't know how to do this, so you're going to do it with me. We're going to cook something for ourselves instead of letting our handmaids do it for us. »

« Y... yes, of course. We're going to do this. »

Daenerys was baffled by the suggestion. She didn't mind getting her hands dirty and working on raw meat, but it never occurred to her that she would actually have to. As a Khaleesi, then a queen, she always had someone cook for her and although she knew a few tips, she'd never actually had to cook her own meal. Not like this anyway. So It was a troubling but fun experience she had with Bäahal who quietly tied the apron behind her sister before she handed her a knife to keep dicing the vegetables while Bäahal would skin the meat. An awkward silence fell upon them for a few minutes before Bäahal broke it.

« I don't think I will ever recover from Viserion's death » It felt like a bomb. It wrecked Dany's heart but she kept chopping the vegetables. « I don't know what to do without him and I know, I know it must be harder on you Dany. He was your son. He was my best friend... » She kept skinning the hare that was on the chopping block. « Listening to Drogon and Rhaegal at times is overwhelming because I remember him. »

She confessed, still not looking at Daenerys. Her moves became a little erratic, and she had lost focus on what she was doing, which alerted Dany who stopped cutting the vegetables and took a few steps towards her sister. Bäahal was overwhelmed, just mentioning Viserion was painful to the point of potentially hurting herself. Dany had witnessed moments like this and decided to go with her instincts. She gently put her hand over her sister who focused on the pale white hand that gently tried to calm her before purple hues met purple hues. Dany smiled at her, a soft understanding smile that made Bäahal smile back.

« I...I'm not good with words Daenerys. Viserion was family, but so are you. While I have lost him and I'm still trying to mourn for him, so have you. So I wanted to make a meal us so we could mourn for him and think of him while we eat...but then I also realize that while he's gone, you are still here with me. I want...What I mean is... »

She looked at Dany who cupped her cheek and gently stroked it. Her smile became warmer as finally, her sister was saying more words than she ever had over the last couple of weeks. It felt st'range, for the queen, to feel this relieved about this woman who still was a stranger a couple weeks ago, but she was rooting herself in the heart of the queen. She was slowly but surely finding her place in the heart of the one true heir. The gesture touched Dany who understood that her sister wanted to comfort her and open up to her despite losing Viserion. Bäahal put the knife on the chopping block and wrapped her arms around Daenerys so she could pull her into her a hug.

« What I mean is that...I don't want to lose you. I've just found you and everything can change with just a snap of a finger. I cannot allow for this to happen...ever...Do you understand? »


« I do. I do Büu. I am not going to lose you either. I have always thought I would only have my brother and he wasn't a good one at that. I do not feel alone anymore. » She said rubbing her sister's back and I think you had a lovely idea. I am very excited about cooking with you and the stories we're going to share. How about, I tell you one thing about me from the past and you tell me anything you'd like to tell me? A tit for tat? »

« I'd like that. » -Bäahal said, rubbing Daenerys' back as well while her sister planted a kiss on top of her head. It was the first real hug they exchanged since Viserion's death and it felt good. It felt liberating, it felt like a promise of a much better future. The two women didn't let go of the other for a while, unbothered by the heat of the kitchen or the stench of blood. Instead, they were just fine comfortable, at home.


-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment