Sunday, October 14, 2018

Jaime x Bäahal: The Hand and the Princess

Lord Tyrion noticed how upset the silver princess was whenever Cersei's name was mentioned. Unlike Daenerys, she didn't have to remain stoic whenever war was discussed but for the sake of the council and her sister, she didn't openly react. No. Her hands, however, betrayed her state of mind as she mind-absently played with her daggers in order to keep herself calm. There was no denying in her hatred for the golden lioness, the usurper of the throne and her irritation became even stronger when his brother returned to Cersei. It was bound to happen, she knew it from the moment they met and yet, something happened. Something that changed her perception of the tall blonde knight. Tyrion was cunning, he was very observant and he realized that despite her best efforts, the princess somehow grew a little attached to his brother. She seemed to see something about him that nobody seemed to see. Jaime was not the monster they made him be, Tyrion should know, he was the brother of a monster.  Jaime was good, although misguided, passionate and hopelessly in love with a  master manipulator who was ruining his life. Maybe it was too late to save his brother, maybe it wasn't, but Lord Tyrion had to make a choice. 

He chose Daenerys and while he still cared for his family, he chose the silver-haired queen. He tried to talk to Bäahal but she seemed to be angry at him too and avoided him for a while. The days before the war against Cersei, the Hand of the queen found the princess in the empty council room and brought her a glass of wine so the two of them could talk. She watched as he put the glass on the table and went to sit on one of the chairs. Her eyes averted from the table to her right, where Lord Tyrion was sitting at. She sighed at him and leaned a little harder on the table. She knew he was going to lecture her. He probably figured out she cared for Jaime and was asking for her loyalty but he didn't have to worry about that part. She was completely devoted to her sister and no one could ever stand between Daenerys and her. Her anger flashed in her eyes and her voice betrayed the thinly veiled emotions she was hiding behind. 

"You should have been honest with me, Lord Tyrion." -She said, eyeing his peace-offering wine but not touching it yet.- "You should have told me what happened to your family. I heard of King Joffrey's death and the trial...What I didn't know about was that you killed your father while you escaped from prison and how much your brother loved your father."

"I didn't need to lose myself in details that were none of your business, princess. I also didn't need to tell you anything about Jaime because I am not him. I told you how I experienced what happened to me. How it felt to be betrayed by the love of your life. How it felt to know she was bought by my father to testify against me. How it felt to come back and realize she fucked your dad too. I was a broken man--"

"We're ALL broken, Lord Tyrion!" The silver princess raised her voice. "We're ALL broken but we deserve the truth. I value honesty. I trust people who are honest with me. You withdrew this information from me and when I tried to help you make up with your brother, I was told the cold truth and it didn't sit well with me."

Lord Tyrion blinked as he didn't expect to hear what she said. Did the princess really try to help him make up with his brother? Did she really try to better his relationship with Jaime when even he didn't ask her for it? He wanted to be upset and his face betrayed his first thoughts but then he realized that she wanted to help him and it softened his features. She was angry and rightfully so. She put her neck out there and was axed by his brother in cold blood -presumably so- Tyrion was a man of many faults and many qualities, however when it came to his family, sometimes he didn't think rationally. How could he when he loved Kyra and Jaime the most? How could he when they were the only people to treat him like a human being and not a beast? 

"I should have. Had I known you would try to speak on my behalf, I would have."

"He was hurt...And seeing him hurt, made me do something I wouldn't have done if I had known the truth."

"What did you do?" Concern laced his voice as he didn't know how far the princess went with the knight. He still had a pretty good idea that she didn't sleep with him, being as closed off as she was, sex was not going to do it unless she was using it to get something. 

".....Your brother figured me out very fast. I didn't plan on feeling sorry for him and yet I did."

"You've been upset lately whenever Jaime is mentioned. Why is that?"

He shifted the conversation to something they both had in mind at the moment. In a way, he was taking the heat off of his shoulders. The princess looked at him and shrugged. She held the glass of wine and started to drink, everything went down in one gulp before she put the empty glass on the table again and looked at him straight in the eyes.

"It is such a waste that he fell in love with Cersei. It is a waste because he returned to her. After all the things he heard, all he witnessed, all he knew...he still went to her. I cannot explain this. I cannot..."

"He's in love, princess. I know you haven't felt this before, but trust me. When you are in love with someone, your rationality flies by the window. The only thing you think of is to be by their sides and protect them."

"Even when they betray you?" She asked again turning on her heels and leaning against the table. She was now looking at Tyrion, still upset but less at him now that curiosity took over. 

"Especially when they betray you. I am sure that if Missandei betrays you, you will still forgive her because you love her. Jaime loves Cersei and this is a bond nothing, not even prophecy could destroy."

"Is it why you try to save them all, even Cersei? Because of Love?"

"Yes." He admitted, taking another sip of wine. "I might hate her, She's still my sister and I would want nothing but to protect her and the child she's carrying."

"You are a very bad liar.  You're doing all of this because of guilt! Not love! You've always felt guilty about killing your own mother." Tyrion's face hardened and he furrowed his brows. "You said so Lord Tyrion, I'm just repeating your own words. You've always felt guilty for causing so much distraught and pain to your siblings, so of course, you took all of their attacks, especially Cersei's vicious ones. You forgave her, you kept on forgiving her until Joffrey was murdered and she finally lashed onto you for the last time. And even when you were waiting for your death after Oberin's defeat, you still couldn't bring yourself to fully hate Cersei, could you?  That's the power she has on all of you. She made Jaime fall in love with her and she made you feel guilty for being BORN!"

"ENOUGH!" Tyrion yelled, unable to keep his composure as the princess kept pushing him to his limits. He knew she was angry at him and was trying to hurt him with her words. He also knew she was right and hit the bullseye. It was guilt, not love that made him try to protect Cersei the way he did. He wanted to show he was a good brother and a rightful Lannister, even now, as he was the hand of a Targaryen. He wanted to make amends with Jaime for what he put him through and the loss of their father. He wanted to be loved by his family and it didn't slip through Bäahal's eyes. However, her anger felt misplaced to him. Why would she take it personally? Why was she so affected by something he didn't tell her because it was none of her business? he scratched his beard and emptied his cup of wine. "Enough princess! You have no right to tell me what I should and what I shouldn't have told you when it comes to my own family. You had no rights to interfere between Jaime and me because you're not a Lannister and it is none of your business. You chose to go there on your own, you chose to bring my name to your lips when you were talking to my brother and I suspect that you are this heated up about Cersei because of Jaime." He snapped at her, making the princess blush and become stiffer than a wooden board.

"What are you talking about? Your brother was simply a man of honour who showed up when your sister ordered her men to stay with her. I thought the least I could do was to thank him for coming."

"Save your lies to yourself, Princess. You are very transparent. My brother troubles you, I can see it. He tends to do that to women and men alike. He tends to do that to people around him. Jaime Lannister...you either love him or hate him but there is no in-between. Judging by how upset you were with me, I'd say it's the former. You fancy him, maybe a lot, maybe a little bit, but you do fancy him. Let me tell you something, Princess Bäahal. You should run in the opposite direction when it comes to Jaime. Don't waste the precious first time of romance in loving my brother. He is like a wall made of stones you will hit if you keep going. You will hit it over and over again, hurt yourself and become miserable because there is no way in this life or another, that my brother would ever return whatever feelings you might have for him. Would he respect you? Probably. Would he ever love you? Never. His heart belongs to Cersei and Cersei alone. My brother has the terrible tendency to be loyal and faithful, so he would never ever touch you, let alone see you.  I am elated to know that you're trying to trust men. It is good for you to see that life keeps going, love can happen. Look at me!" He chuckled darkly. "But a heartbreak is a pain I do not recommend. I haven't healed from the last one I had and look at me." He pointed out as he stood back up and took her empty glass of wine off of the table.  "You deserve better than a life of pain and misery. My brother is nice, but he's not the only good man you will ever cross path with. Don't hurt yourself with him."

"I do not...fancy your brother. I was upset because you didn't tell me the whole truth and I want to trust you, Lord Tyrion. So, from now on, when we talk together, I need the whole truth, not the one you're telling yourself to sleep better at night."

She said as she turned on her heels and escaped from the room. He was right, each and every word he said to her was true and she hated that he snapped at her this hard. He figured her out this quickly and if he could, anyone else could and it became a liability.  she hated that with a just a single glance at her, Tyrion could tell she indeed, felt something for Jaime. It was nothing, a tiny little bit of admiration and eventually, her mind drifted a little towards matters she shouldn't be thinking of, but all of this was nothing. it was just her being overwhelmed since she was free. Yes? yes? Yes! so why were her heart racing and tears rolling down her cheeks and her cheeks burning as if she was caught lying? she hit her heart with her fist and shook her head. Enough! she would make it so that Jaime Lannister would not be a problem anymore. He couldn't be, not when there would be a war against Cersei and him in the upcoming days. She would not hesitate and kill the man should she meet him.  It didn't matter how bitter the taste of it, was on her tongue, she would do her duty, out of love for her sister Daenerys. Out of love, indeed.

-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment