Friday, April 27, 2018

Chronicles of Lux and Tenebrae: The End Realm part 1. Conversation with the King.

A/N: A small glimpse into Death's realm. Lux is still very shocked by what she had witnessed.

xxxxxxxx

Lux was still shocked by Tenebrae's power demonstration and she realized that for the first time since they met, that she was actually scared of him. What she saw back there was a horror show which raised more questions than gave answers. She witnessed Tenebrae open a portal, watched as he swallowed those enemies and saw his gleeful shark smile that crept on his lips. The prince was powerful and there was a small chance he didn't know how truly powerful he was. As she was lost in her thoughts, the princess almost screamed when she felt the large hand of Death squeezing her shoulder. She looked up to see a completely different version of him. As soon as they entered the End Realm, his face wasn't a skull anymore. He was a beautiful man, with sharp features. He had high cheekbones and a square chin. He has a dimple on his chin that only accentuated how strong his jaw was. His nose was straight and thin, his eyes were jet black like his son's. The King had massive silver hair that whipped the small of his back. He was wearing a black tunic with silver arabesques drawn on his collar and chest, complete with a pair of black trousers and black leather shoes. He had his gold and black crown on top of his head. Once they arrived, the princess noticed they were in the throne room.

« Welcome to the End Realm, Lux. » He said with a soft voice.

« Thank you, my King. »

She whispered, looking around her. Lux didn't feel familiar with the place, she was certain to never have been there when she still had her full memory. She would have remembered, at least, how it made her feel. The room was empty, with just a very huge Throne of spikes made of glass. There were purple curtains that dressed the throne and the walls. There was no actual light in the kingdom, so some green fire lit the room and the streets of the End Realm. The princess clenched her fingers onto her chest and exhaled so loudly that it startled her. Death quietly sat on his throne and leaned his elbows on his lap. She turned on her heels to face the king and held onto the fabric of her dress tighter.

« What do you know about the End Realm? » He asked, his piercing black eyes stared at her. She tucked some hair behind her ear and answered in a weak voice.

« It is where the souls of the dead go once they pass away. »

« Yes, but not only. I know you understand the concept of balance. Your mother deals with the living. She is the Light that shines upon this world. She breathes existence into human bodies. You and your brothers also influence greatly the existence of mankind, from the moment they are born to the moment I take them away. Then they become my people »

« I know of that, your grace. » She said, her silver eyes flashed briefly some light before she lowered her head.

« I know. What you don't know is that I am not just ruling over them. The End realm is divided into three parts. You have Elysium, where my castle is. Only the noblest of souls can live with me. They benefit from pleasures they could find on Earth, eternal life by my side as a reward for their good life. The second part of my kingdom is where the sinners are sent. Those who are beyond redemption or committed such heinous crimes that there is no forgiveness, go there. I design their punishment and they are tormented for the rest of eternity. »

« It is like Hell, then. » She said, tilting her head to the side and allowing some black strands to tickle her nose. Death chuckled darkly.

« Worse than Hell. Those souls wish they joined the void instead. » He entangled his fingers together. « The third part is where Tenebrae put his castle. It is also where he had been raised when he was an infant so my enemies couldn't get their hands on my son. » He narrowed his gaze, sending a shiver down Lux' spine. « This is where the demons and monsters live. Some of them pledged allegiance to me but others didn't. It is a hostile place to live but the only place where monsters can be contained. »

« Why are you telling me all of this? » She said, looking up at the King who smirked at her. He offered his hand to her so she could grab it. Lux looked at it defiantly and shook her head. « I won't come close until I know why you took me here, what Tenebrae is doing and when I will reunite with him. »

« Fierce. You're still fierce. » He said, his hand returning on his lap. « Fine. I will indulge your request. » He leaned into his seat and crossed his arms over his chest. « I suspect your mother was attacked by old acquaintances of mine. I need to visit the Vanishing Point before I can confirm. »

« The Vanishing point? You know where it is? »Lux's eyes grew wide. She remembered the words of the Keeper of Secrets. Death nodded quickly. « Who do you think attacked my mother? »

« I can't tell you right now. I will once I'm sure it is them. »

« You know them. You know them and you're trying to protect them? » She blinked but Death scoffed.

« I am not protecting them, child. If they are indeed our enemies, we would need a better strategy than the one Tenebrae has in mind. »

« What do you know about his plan ? Why are we here? » She asked again before Death stood up and pushed his forefinger against his lips. It made her swallow a lump.

« Your safety comes to mind when I think of you. Tenebrae might believe I do not love him, but he would be sorely mistaken if he thinks I don't care about him. To answer your previous question, Tenebrae is guiding the souls of the newly departed to the End Realm. He would have to judge their souls and decide whether or not they should reside in Elysium or what you call Hell. » He then walked towards the princess and put both hands on her shoulders. « You have witnessed what he is capable of. I take the look on your face that you have never seen him like this before. »

« I don't know, my king. I don't have my memories back. I do not feel familiar with this. What is he exactly? How can he do what he did back on Earth? »

« I do not know myself. The harpies told me that it happened when he was just a young boy and it never occurred ever since. He could be a portal to the void. He could be the embodiment of the void. I do not know. »

« I see. »

Death didn't know what his son actually was? Instead of putting Lux at ease, it worried her. She looked up to his face as he bent slightly forward and chewed at her bottom lip. Death was still one of the most feared entities of the whole universe. He was timeless, eternal and she realized that he also couldn't be killed, so maybe invincible too. He was the one who decided whether or not you deserved to be punished or rewarded for the good life you led. He was the one who had absolute control of an infinite realm, including managing the presence of monsters and demons. He was tremendously powerful, beautiful and cold. A shiver went down her spine but she refused to let him see she was afraid of him. Instead, the princess furrowed her brows in an attempt at looking meaner which softened the king's facial expression. She looked just like her mother, a softer and smaller version of Life. He couldn't help but cup her cheek, causing a small sparkle between the two of them. She shut her eyes at his touch and lift her eyebrows.

« You are very tired my child, perhaps, you should get some rest. Tenebrae will find you when he's done. Sleep » He said, snapping his finger.


She must have blacked out because the princess found herself on a bed in a room she didn't know. The bed was luscious, made out of a large piece of ebony tree. There was a vanity made of glass, with a chair. She found herself wearing a black dress with emerald sequins sewn into her chest piece. She gasped as the front door opened and a worn out Tenebrae entered. The prince stopped and furrowed his white eyebrows at his beloved who looked down at her legs, still covered by the heavy sheets. The prince chuckled and snapped his fingers to wear matching garbs. A green and black tunic with a pair of black pants. He sat on the bed, near her and cupped her cheek.

« You're beautiful. »

« Stop it. » She sighed but couldn't stop smiling as she enjoyed the compliment.

« I'm serious. You're beautiful. » She chuckled and pressed her lips against his cheek.


« Well... That is the nicest thing you've said to me since we met. » She smiled and leaned on her back again. Tenebrae laid on his side and ran his hand through her black locks. 

« I'm not always that bad. » She shrugged and looked at the rich ceiling. « Were you scared of me, back there, on Earth? »

« What are you talking about? » She felt uncomfortable and bit her bottom lip. He lifted a brow, which made her roll her eyes. « Alright, I didn't understand what was happening. I didn't know if I would live or die or what you were doing. You didn't respond to me, I call you. I said your name over and over again and you didn't look at me. » He held onto her hand and with the other one, he cupped her cheek.

« I will never hurt you. Lux. Never. »She looked at him, her silver eyes shifted from left to right. « I walked the Earth searching for you, I started my crusade to avenge you if you were in fact, dead. I only see you. » He stroked her cheek but she shook her head and rolled on her side, disengaging from his embrace.

« I don't know, Tenebrae. I am....scared. I don't remember anything, no matter how hard I try and from what I have understood, we have to wait for Mother knows what. » She was frustrated of not remembering him, so frustrated that she started to cry. The prince put his hand on her shoulder and leaned his face against her back.

« I am aware of what it entails. You, not remembering me. I understand that it means I have to accept you might not feel the same for me. I understand that I might just have lost you. » His voice was strangled with emotion.

« Do you accept it? Do you accept me not being in love with you? » She asked in a broken voice. « Do you accept me not remembering you?? »

« We might die. But at least, I would have the honour to die by your sides. » He said, holding onto her. Shoulder tighter. « My love for you is real and eternal. I promised you that it would be, regardless of whether or not you can remember me. I would love you for all eternity, beloved. »

« I am.... so sorry. »

She sighed and turned around so she could look into Tenebrae's eyes. He was crying silent tears, the ones he had tried to hold back ever since he learned she had died. She wrapped her arm around his chest and pulled him into a tight hug, allowing his hand to push her by the small of her back and keep her closer to him. They remained in that embrace without saying a word, until Lux fell asleep again. For once, safe in his father's realm, Tenebrae finally fell asleep too. He would need that energy.


-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment