Saturday, November 24, 2018

doya: thanksgiving

"Thanksgiving isn't a holiday we celebrate in Cameroon, so it isn't something I am looking forward. My mom always told me that we shouldn't need a special day to tell someone we care for them. I've always found this American holiday to be a solid excuse for me to pig out, eat all I could without caring about unbuttoning my pants.
They're not big on holidays, the Winchesters that is. If it wasn't for me pressing them about my birthday or my anniversary or Christmas we would not celebrate anything. I don't blame them...Celebrating holidays is an open door to memories, but for Dean and Sam, those memories would remind them of all they lost, of those who were gone. They couldn't open this can of worms so they never celebrated holidays...except Christmas or my birthday.
But for some reason, I heard a nice lady talk to her kids and asked them to list what they were grateful for this year. The answers were funny, moving even and they prompted me to look at Dean who was checking his phone. I smiled to myself and gently wrapped my arm around his waist. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me against his chest. I was thankful for him, as simple as it was. I was thankful for everything I could have, in this hell hole of a life."

No comments:

Post a Comment