Saturday, December 9, 2017

GoT: The truth unveiled -Aftermath-

A/ N: That is the last solo I felt I had to write after Lou wrote me a beautiful Dani x Bäahal piece. <3 Thanks so much Lou for helping me feel less like a shitty writer. <3 You always inspire me and always say the right words! So this is for you <3 I haven't been in Bäahal's head in ages so I didn't know how to write my response to the wonderful solo written by Lou. I will try to do it Justice but I am not sure I would be able to. Anyway, it takes place right after your scene. And with this, I would have written all I owed you <3 All the usual disclaimers

XXXX


Tyrion watched as Bäahal ran away from the throne room as she sought some fresh air Everything went so fast that she didn't have the time to sit and think clearly. He turned to Daenerys and cleared his throat as he prepared to speak. The queen glanced at him, her purple eyes filled with an emotion she hadn't felt before. In her pursuit of power, she who thought she had lost her family ended up finding one. Bäahal's lineage always had been the focus of many rumors and legends. Only very few of them were close to the truth. Sunni, the beautiful albinos' slave attracted the eye of Aerys « the mad king » when she entered his court. Sunni was a slave from Naath, known for her beauty and grace and her dancing skills. Unlike many servants, she exclusively danced or sang to entertain Aerys court and distract Rhaella. Shortly before he vowed to remain faithful, he took Sunni against her will and the two conceive a child but the mother kept it a secret for as long as she could. She escaped from the King's wrath; when he killed a mistress he accused of Rhaella's stillbirth; and returned to Naath so she could quietly give birth to her daughter and live safely. Her hopes of a peaceful life quickly vanished when the baby was born with white hair and purple eyes, a sign that it was Targaryen. Rumors started and followed Bäahal ever since.


When they met her, she was dying her hair red to avoid being noticed but Tyrion wasn't duped and didn't trust her. Her eyes were purple and no amount of hair dye could change that fact. Besides, he often caught her intensely stare at Daenerys when the queen wasn't looking, which made him even more suspicious. He asked Varys about her since he seemed to know everything and was dumbfounded to realize that the bald spy knew of her lineage long before they left Mereen. Tyrion was upset that such a secret was kept from him and planned to tell the truth to his queen. A bastard Targaryen might not be a threat to the throne in itself since they couldn't pretend to the title BUT they could be a threat to the queen herself. He had noticed how close to Bäahal his queen and Missandei became and he didn't want her to have a bad influence on them. The queen was already difficult to advise as it was, he didn't want her to listen to a so-called relative because she would feel inclined to. Varys advised against it, saying that Bäahal's lineage didn't affect their plan or the queen and revealing it now would only complicate everything.

She saw something in Jon Snow and demonstrated a curiosity Tyrion recognized as the same she had for Daario. It made the Queen even more unpredictable than before. Tyrion didn't listen and today couldn't contain himself but reveal Bäahal's lineage. He confronted her in front of everyone, accusing her of wanting to take advantage of the queen and misguide her. That was unlikely to him to act on such an impulse but he realized he was losing ground to Jon « Perfect » Snow. The young lad caught the queen's attention and Tyrion foresaw that if he didn't manifest himself quickly, she might stop listening to him altogether. Bäahal was suffocating, the pressure she felt in the throne room as the truth about her lineage was revealed to Daenerys was depriving her of air. She held her neck, scratching it as she would have in the past when the shackles and chains were wrapped around her neck to remind her of her place. She shut her eyes tightly as Daenerys words echoed in her mind.

« How long have you been living in the shadows, You won't have to do it ever again, Bäahal, step into the light as my friend... my sister. »

It was too much to handle for the half-breed who couldn't stare at Daenerys and stay in the same room as everyone else. She felt naked, stripped off of her pride and dignity when Tyrion told her story to the crowd. They didn't need to know the circumstances of her birth. They didn't need to know the suffering of her mother or hers. They didn't have to take away the small pride she finally found after the Targaryen queen took her with her. It wasn't, per say, the humiliation of being confronted to such horrible past that bothered the woman. It was the sight of Daenerys being horrified to her ordeals that Bäahal couldn't take. She glorified the queen, her half-sister, admired her for her journey and transformation. She wanted nothing but respect from her sibling and instead, thanks to the insecurities of a troubled man, that respect was gone and was replaced with Pity. She couldn't tell what went through the silver-haired queen but she knew that Daenerys was feeling some sort of guilt for what her father did. She was just a baby when Viserys and her were taken away from Dragonstone. Too young to have met her father and way too young to fully be impacted by her genitor's actions. He was a despicable man, she was aware of that and she was aware of his ways and determined not to repeat the same things. The circumstances of Bäahal's birth wasn't her burden to carry over but she knew the woman and felt empathetic to her ordeals.

She might not have lived a life of servitude, she was sold like cattle to Khal Drogo. Before any of them could get to know each other, he treated her like property. She had to earn his respect and she owes it to herself to have succeeded. Her whole life was a battle she had to lead for her survival, from the moment she left Dragonstone to the day she came back to the castle. Even now, she was going to war in order to reclaim what was hers.. her birthrights.. the Iron Throne. She understood Bäahal's life of servitude and what it entailed. She knew of the violence Bäahal had to face on a daily basis and she understood why she became this hardened woman who knew a thing or two about throwing knives. Daenerys understood her solitude and for all of that, she wanted to make her feel welcomed like Missandei was. She wanted to tell the woman she was safe with her and that she acknowledged her as a sibling, maybe half-breed but with the heart in the right place. She trusted Bäahal who demonstrated nothing but pure devotion to the queen, to the point of ignoring her own interest. That was the reason why the mother of dragons carefully chose her words when she addressed her, much to Tyrion's dismay who expected a different outcome.

Far from the throne room, in the nice stairs that gave them a beautiful sight of the land and the dragons flying in the sky, Bäahal found a little bit of solace. She was able to think clearly after a while and stared at Drogon that was flying at a distance. The breeze was fresh, enough to make her nose wet. It was good. Daenerys didn't take the new as bad as she thought she would. She welcomed her. The former slave put her hand on her chest and felt a presence she wasn't familiar with. It prompted her to grab the dagger she kept hidden against her inner thigh and turn around to face the unknown presence. It was Jon Snow. After the reveal, Ser Davos and he decided to leave the queen so she could talk to Tyrion and Varys. It was none of their business and he would rather not get involved in anything that wasn't about him or the people of the North. As he left the tension-ridden throne room, the bastard of Ned Stark as some still said when referring to him, thought that a little walk would actually help him take a break. They were running out of time, Daenerys was still insisting on making him bend the knee and it was frustrating. Today was a change of pace, something new happened that disturbed the dynamic that had settled between them.

« It is just you, your grace. I apologize. I am not used to people coming on my back unannounced »

« You don't have to apologize. I should have announced myself. I didn't mean to scare you. » He said, looking at the horizon and the flying dragons that kept growing. « ….. » He watched as she became tense and shifted her gaze away to stare at Drogon flying towards them. « You seem to feel better. »

« I sure am. » Bäahal purple gaze stared at him before she looked away. « What you heard in the throne room doesn't change who I am. I serve Daenerys Targaryen as her handmaid... eventually her friend if she allows me. She set me free from a life of servitude. I owe the rest of my life. » She said as she allowed her fingers to run through the edge of her white locks.

« So are you saying you follow your queen because you feel indebted? » She shook her head.

« No. She didn't ask me anything. I chose to follow and serve her the best I can. That's what I do best, I'd rather put my skills in service of the best person. »

« The best...or the right person? » He asked, walking closer to her so he could have a better view of the dragons. Drogon was literally above them, casting a huge shadow that engulfed both of them.

« The best and right person. She isn't like most kings...Certainly not like those of Westeros. She doesn't see people like me as expendables. She never made me feel like I was. » Her voice was strangled by her throat, as emotion was overwhelming her. She put her dagger back into the sheath tied to her thigh.

« I heard she had that effect on people. »

Jon said, looking at the sky and then at Bäahal. She gave him a tight smile, her purple eyes now focused on his face. He was handsome, young but determined. She knew he was a good man but the honesty in his eyes and the humble stature of his body. When he came to Daenerys for the first time, Bäahal realized that he was different from most men she'd seen before. He didn't come as a conqueror who knew better than the queen. He didn't come to make her submit, he came to ask for help. Such honesty and drive were intoxicating and if she didn't know better, she would be pulled towards him by the force of his magnetic charm. He was charming but Bäahal noticed the way her sister looked at him and decided not to let her own emotions drive her. He noticed the change in the atmosphere. She hardened her features and looked back to the sky.

« She is Your grace. She is something like you've never seen before. Be patient with her... We all know what's at stake and we all have demands but we have to be a little bit more patient. »

« I don't have the luxury to wait, Lady Bäahal. The very threat we are up against is not waiting. »

« It is simply Bäahal your grace. I am no lady. » She said in a breaking voice, looking down at her hands.

« ... » Jon looked at her. He wanted to comfort her but he didn't know how. She had been nothing but kind towards him since they arrived, often making sure he and Davos had everything they needed. He noticed the way she looked at him but mistook it for genuine attention. Jon was peculiarly oblivious to anyone being interested in him but not naive enough to ignore the obvious signs. So far, Bäahal had been discreet and he didn't know her well enough to have an opinion on her, not to mention that he clearly had more urgent matters. However, he knew she needed to be comforted given the way she stormed out of the throne room and how she kept talking about herself. « You are nothing less of a lady. » He finally said, giving her a small smile which made her unclench her jaw and smile back at him. « You said we all had demanded. I suppose you can tell me what yours are ?. »

« Thank you, your grace. » She said, bowing slowly to him before she shrugged as she felt his hand brush over her shoulder. « You want my queen's help to protect you from the white walkers. She wants you to bend the knee and pledge allegiance to her in order to stop Cersei. Am I wrong? »

« Not at all. You are not wrong, but I think you didn't understand the question well. » He looked into her purple eyes. « I said, what are your demands. I wasn't talking about your queen. I was talking about you. » Her eyes grew wide and she took a few steps on the side, to get away from Jon's hand.

« I got what I wanted. I desired freedom and Daenerys gave it to me. » She turned on her back so she could hide behind her white mane. « I even got more than I could have expected. I now have a family in her, your grace. » She said, slowly placing a hand on her belly.

« That was before when you were... » He didn't continue his sentence. He didn't want to remind her of being a slave.

« You can say it. When I was a slave. Yes, I dreamed of freedom and got it. »

« But you're not a slave anymore. What is it that you want, for yourself? »

She shifty-eyed, the question hurt more than she thought it would because she realized that she never asked herself the question. What did she want? She wanted Daenerys to succeed in her conquest. She wanted to see her crowned and she wanted her to be happy again. She knew chemistry when she saw one and Jon had some chemistry with Daenerys. He made her lower her defenses and there was no way she would interfere in that. There was more to the world than one insignificant life's desires. She took a deep breath and turned around to face Jon.

« I want Daenerys dream to come true. I do not need anything else in my life. I do not want to dream or plan or even conceive how life could be tomorrow because it comes and goes. We never know what the Seven gods have in store for us and it would be presumptuous to want to decide for ourselves. I don't know if I would be alive, I don't know if I would be dead. I don't know if Westeros is set on fire and drowned in blood. I want her to be happy, that is my most secret desire and I do not care if you do not believe me. Ser Tyrion didn't want to believe me and this is why he revealed the truth in front of everyone. I know what I know. I stand by my words. Don't ask me this question again. »

She said as she ran off. Jon watched and furrowed his brows. He didn't know what he did to actually set her off but her words echoed in his mind. She returned to the throne room and found Tyrion in the hallway leading to it. He gave her an apologetic look to her before walking away, his face defeated by what seemed to have been an hour-long session of Daenerys arguing with him. Varys followed, this time with a satisfied smile on his lips as he slightly bowed to her, which was odd to the woman who wasn't used to a demonstration of respect towards /her/. She closed the door behind her and cleared her throat to announce her presence. Daenerys was sitting on the throne, her hands on her temples as Missandei was watching over her and Grey-worm was standing still next to her. Bäahal closed the distance between them and her quickly and knelt on both knees in front of her.

« Your grace, I apologize for leaving so abruptly earlier. I was overwhelmed with emotion. I didn't expect my secret to be-- »

« Stand up. » She said to Bäahal who swallowed a lump and did as she was told. « Come closer. » Her face was unreadable and Bäahal realized that a million thoughts might have crossed her. She walked closer to her and Daenerys grabbed both of her hands. « Look at me in the eyes Büu. » her nickname. The mother of dragons gave Bäahal a nickname shortly after she rescued her, it was a way to get her to talk and make her feel comfortable around the Targaryen queen. It worked even now since the former slaved relaxed, looked up to the queen and gave her sister a soft smile. « There you are. I am not blaming you for storming out of the throne-room. I am not blaming you for not telling me either. I meant my words when I said it was time for you to step into the light and live as your true self. You no longer need to dye your hair when you are with me. You no longer need to wear the name Snow. I cannot change the circumstances of your birth, but I certainly can offer you a new start....and a family. »

« You are too kind to me, your grace. I am nothing but a half-breed. I am a bastard, from a woman was viewed as a curiosity because her skin was like Ivory and a king who imprinted history as being the Mad King. I myself, am not... » Daenerys held onto her hands tighter and gave her a determined look.

«You are. » She paused. « ... And I command you, from now on, to think of yourself as more than you give yourself credit for. It'll come to you, the same devotion you have for me, I command you to have it for you. » She smiled at her and brought her hands to her lips. « Do you understand? »

« Yes, your grace. I do » Bäahal smiled back and looked at Missandei who was grinning from ear to ear.


It was an interlude, a little moment lost in time before the real work began. Bäahal was still not used to this dramatic change in her life, but she was ready for the war to come. All her life led to this moment, to helping Daenerys sit on the Iron Throne and vanquish her enemies. Bäahal knew she would have to work on accepting her new life and consider herself as more than just a former slave or a useful tool. She had the will to survive and fight inside of her, that kept her alive for many years, it gave her the nickname « Bäahal the resilient » so she knew she would survive it. She would survive it...because she wasn't alone anymore.


-END-

No comments:

Post a Comment