Saturday, November 14, 2020

Pride and Elpis: Breakfast

Pride and Elpis: Breakfast


A/N : I just needed a wonderful moment between those two.



Elpis leaned against the balcony of their luxurious apartment. The view was to die for. From her balcony, she could see the beach, the mountains standing proud miles away, and the forest that was nearby. She could see oblivious humans enjoying their vacations in this expensive place, she could also see the less fortunate enjoy a bit of rest at the beach. They all hoped for something, whether this was a better life, or just for some more time alive, and this Hope fueled the goddess' power, It was indeed true, the pink-haired goddess was becoming more powerful as time went by, She suspected that it probably had to do with her curse. When Ishtar stabbed her with the Dagger of Fate, he gave her the opportunity to upgrade. Somehow, her connection to humans became stronger over time, since she had to hop from body to body after living complete or interrupted lives. She understood humans, and her empathy was so strong that she basically « became » human. She understood their concept of love, of death, of a successful life, or a life of torment.



Perhaps it was true, or maybe it simply was the fact she was no longer under the influence of her pantheon and could finally explore her true abilities. It probably was a bit of both but she fancied the first explanation more. 2000 years stuck in human hosts definitely had some usefulness and that was enough for Elpis. Her long pink strands fell on her chest as she bent a little forward to look down at the gorgeous Olympic pool below. Her perfect plump lips, painted a scarlet tint for the occasion smiled at the sight of children having fun together. She took a deep breath and marveled at the simplicity of mankind, capable of sharing unadulterated moments of joy. They had not fundamentally changed over the millennia. Their technology did improve, their basic understanding of the universe and concepts also improved, but all in all, humans were still the very same. She used to love them like a child loved their pets. She would come into the mortal plane and would mingle with humans, enjoying their respect and fear of her but it was a long time ago when Elpis was still naive and very much controlled by her whole pantheon. Mankind deserved more than to be seen as just pets or experiments. They deserved true empathy and understanding, true commitment. That was her motivation behind saving Earth from Pride's wrath. She didn't want the Sin to kill them all, for she wanted to protect them. That was her first motivation, the second was far more practical as she needed their worship to truly establish her power and reach new levels -and it was clearly working -



She heard the noise of the front door being opened. Pride woke up very early that morning, determined to surprise the goddess with a french breakfast. He could have ordered it and let some human servants bring it to their room, but he didn't want to be interrupted by them. He wanted to show Elpis he could also give her some attention, and the smallest ones were always the most welcome -as he observed with Asma-. He brought breakfast to her, wearing an impeccable black suit with a necktie. She was still wearing the hotel's white bathrobe that complimented her ebony skin-tone so well. Elpis tilted her head and then turned around so she could watch him come closer to her. Here he was, in all his glory with a silver plate on his hand. She curbed a brow and took a better look at the tray, noticing some human delicacies such as a croissant and pain au chocolat, alongside a mug of hot cocoa, some orange juice, and a few slices of ham. Pride put the tray on the table that was at the balcony and quietly closed the gap between him and the goddess. She wrapped her arms around his neck while he wrapped his around her waist and pulled her into a tight embrace.



« To what do I owe the breakfast, beloved? »



« I just wanted to surprise you this morning, my Light. You have been working hard lately. You have always managed to surprise me during our trip around the world, so it was my turn to surprise you a little bit. »



« Such a kind gesture. Who are you and what have you done with my Superbia? » She joked and pressed her lips to his in a searing kiss. Her hand slowly moved up, sinking into the luxurious blonde mane of the Sin while he sunk his fingers into the supple flesh of her waist. They kissed for a while before Elpis reluctantly pulled away from him, catching her breath in the same gesture. « I appreciate it, beloved. This kickstarts the day in the best way possible. »



« I have seen you were busy staring past the balcony. » He mused, pressing a kiss to her forehead before he released her. She nonchalantly walked towards the table and took a seat. « I have been here for millennia and yet, all I can still see and feel is human stench. To me they are filthy. » He pointed out.



« And yet, you met one of them who wasn't filthy. Asma broke down all the stereotypes you had about mankind didn't she ? » -He sighed, reluctant to admit that Elpis was right.-



Asma did show him that there was more to humanity than he first assumed. Yet, an exception only confirmed the rule was right and she didn't truly change his mind regarding humans. He despised them, wanted them destroyed for good but because he cared for Elpis -and also because they were her primary source of power- he agreed not to destroy Earth. Her golden orbs stared at him and she smiled, flashing her white teeth at him.



« …. »



« Come on, Superbia, for once you can admit I'm actually right. » She teased him with while taking a croissant and cutting a smile bite-size with her fingers. « I know you think and firmly believe that humans are trash.. but some of them deserve our mercy. Some of them are like Asma, and some of them are capable of things you and I aren't capable of. Their lives are short, they know they are on borrowed time and some of them accomplish miracles. »



« And some of them are awful and deserve punishment. The very souls who go to Hades are of that nature. » He reminded her, to which she shrugged and took a bite of her food.



« I will keep showing you the good humanity is capable of. Today is not that day. I just wanted to enjoy the time we have together. »



He walked closer to her, standing only a few inches away from her perfect frame, and let his hand ran over her silky pink locks. She closed her eyes, rolling her head to the side and giving him access to her neck as he let his fingers mind-absently rub her sensitive skin. She was in tune with him, for he also wanted to make up for the time they had not spent together. 2000 years meant nothing to both of them, it was just a blink of an eye and yet, he realized as they spent time together, that those 2000 years could have been filled with the very same feeling he had now. He would have had her by his side, he would have had her supporting him, maybe fighting with him his war. He would have had enjoyed her attention, dedication, loyalty, and love. He couldn't take back those 2000 and all they both had lost, but he could make up for it. He could give them new memories, share moments with her that wouldn't be forgotten.



«Are you satisfied with the time we are spending together since we left the Underworld ? » -He shouldn't have felt a little bit pressured, yet, Pride wanted to hear from her very own mouth that she didn't regret. As a matter of fact, while what /he/ thought was the most important to him, her opinion was valued as well. Hence the little pressure he felt upon hearing her response.-



« I am. I couldn't have dreamed of a better way to replenish my power. I have been dreaming for so long that it exceeds my very dreams. I get to be with you, travel the mortal realm I love so much, and enjoy a freedom I never had until then. I wish we didn't have to go to war against my pantheon so we could truly be enjoying our time together.... but I am excited to test my strength, plan with you and relish in the fantasy of our revenge. I am good at it too. » She claimed, her golden orbs shone brightly as excitement took over and she stroked Pride's arm. « Are you satisfied with me? » Her voice trembled and he furrowed his brows.



« Do I bother answering you, my Light? Don't you already know the answer to your question? »



« I thought it was fair and square to ask you the same. I also want to hear it from your own mouth. » She pointed out. « I know you're being true to me, I simply need to listen to you say it to me. » She confessed before she tucked some locks behind her ear. « Please, Meus Rex. » He considered for a while, his hand still stroking the delicate skin of her neck before, he finally caved.



« I do not regret a single day, my Light. I am glad we get to spend some time together. You no longer are a mystery to me or just a face to a name that came to my mind ever since you scratched the seal. I know you and if it only was for this, releasing you was worth the effort. » He managed to say. He was genuinely happy to know her and had already noticed she was far from the memories of her he had. She had matured, grown from the ordeal her pantheon placed her in, and being able to witness it was glorious for the Sin.



« I am glad you think so... » She trailed off and moved her hand to present the chair before her. « Would you please join me for breakfast, my king? » He nodded and sat. « I would like to keep enjoying the day in your company. »



« And we shall just do that today. »



-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment