Thursday, July 7, 2022

PB: Mary and Tommy appreciation post: The nightingale and the Black Stallion

 PB: Mary and Tommy: The nightingale and the Black Stallion: 


Our latest and newest endeavour together! (I stole your line because you put it so damn well.) I am obsessed with them. Legit obsessed. And it doesn’t help that people keep telling me that they are so good together XD they made people watch the show, they made people fall in love with Tommy or discovered him again. I couldn’t help but praise you. Because let me tell you this: You have tommy’s voice. You have him alright! You nailed his mannerism! You nailed his verbatim and the way he speaks! You understand him in a way that  very few people can. (and I have seen it, trust me. Some even found me on fb and requested me... :/)  You understand his flaws, his fears, his trauma, his thoughts, his devouring ambition. You understand him in a way I love. You and I, we have that thing about  caring for the character and their psyche. We love to pick their brains, and I empathize with him. Perhaps that’s why it works so well between us. We both empathize with your boys. We both pick their brains. We both care for them. I am so fucking glad that we so nonchalantly spoke about the show. I am so happy we got to watch it together and catch up with the show together. I am so happy we got to enjoy this universe together. SO glad! Because I am having the most fun ever with you. I have so much fun I can’t believe my eyes. 


They are the nurse and the soldier. The black stallion and the Nightingale. Two people who are hurting and found comfort with each other. They clicked so fucking well, I couldn’t believe my eyes upon seeing it. From the little banters, the way she automatically goes to try and heal him when he’s injured. The way she will always look after him, try to help him feel better. Try to heal him and comfort him. That’s who she is. She can’t help herself but try to help those around her. She does so because nobody was there for her when she grew up. The nurses brutalized and abused her. Her husband took advantage on her and hurt her. She lost her son, and nobody was there to help her grieve and move forward. She hurt. She hurt really bad, so she decided to give back. Saving lives, healing people, caring for kids is her true calling and the way she could make sure that nobody can feel the same way that she did.  She is a wounded nurse, with a bleeding heart who found her family with the Shelbys. They gave her something she’d never had before, love. She found people who care for her, people who welcomed her in their inner circle and who want to protect her. She found a man. She found a man she fell in love with and who she will be patient with. The soldier. Because he is a soldier. Still traumatized by the first world war and the horrors he went through and witnessed. He’s a man who despite his desire to move forward from the battlefield and build a life for himself, a better life where he would climb the ladders of society. Despite this, he still is stuck in that tunnel. He’s still in France. He’s still there and he’s expecting to die. He’s expecting to find the man who can put an end to his life (and suffering) AND yet, he’s still fighting to stay alive. (to me, this is depression, you know? With suicidal ideations… something I understand because I fucking live through this… that’s why Tommy’s my baby. I relate to him).  Tommy loves his family and he wants to help them, save them, protect them and ensure they have the best life possible. Tommy loses himself in his business because it gives him a purpose. It gives him motivation. It keeps the nightmares at bay because he has something to focus on. Hence why he goes from one enemy to another. With Grace, he had some respite, but she’s gone. And I am sure that in our storyline, the nightmares came back. 


Mary isn’t trying to change Tommy. She doesn’t want him to be a “good man” or a “legitimate man”. She doesn’t want him to come clean. She knows his deal. She knows what he’s doing. However, she wants him to be happier. She wants him to live. To stop and breathe a little. She doesn’t want him to miss seeing his son growing up. She doesn’t want him to miss moments of happiness. Yes, he would take big risks, especially as his war with Michael would escalate and Uncle Jack is also here and a big asshole. And she wouldn’t want him to be hurt, to be reckless, to lose his footing. She just wants him to live. She wants to take care of him because nobody does (except for Polly). Mary however, oh Mary.  She’s a broken bird you know? Tommy in his own way is actually the one who could best understand her. He knows what it is to feel alone, despite having people around you. He knows what it is to be worried, to look past your shoulder, because she’s been there.  He knows what it is to be rejected, or mocked, or even have some fucking racists coming after him. He knows some of her plights. And he sees her. Not the fact she’s a mixed woman. Not the fact she can sing. Not even the fact she’s pretty. He sees past her stoic face, he sees her pain. He can see when she’s drinking too much and he can bring her comfort. Moreover, he also lets her care for him. It’s so huge. To have someone allow her to be genuinely sweet and cuddly with them? To have someone who trusts her enough to care for his son? 


Mary is desperately in love with Tommy. With everything that he is. She is scared that he still wants to replace Grace with her, as if she was the consolation prize since his wife died. She is scared to just be here to care for his son, bring him comfort when he needs it and not for her.  She has already had to confront haters like Lizzie and would soon have to deal with a rivalry she didn’t want to be a part of (Archie) and her mother would make her feel less than. (which might hurt her even more but would help her emancipate herself as well from her past). These two, I agree with you, they are set up to become a great thing, perhaps, the greatest story we could write! (no offense to the others, I love them to bits). Because we have two humans here, with their fears, their traumas, their pain, their love and their determination who will care for one another and protect each other. They are going to become a power couple and they would experience new things, important things, good or bad.  There is this softness, kinkiness, adorableness and something so raw about these two that I love. I love them. I know each smile, each good moment would be earned. I know that each tears, each shock, each headache or tommy’s seizure would bring something to the table. They are carving their path, and I really hope that we would be lucky enough to follow them through it all.  I love them. I love them so much. I love you. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment