Saturday, April 20, 2024

COLBY: Ada x Mary: What if I had a child.

Ada ran her hand through Mary's hair and tilted her head to the side as her baby girl was on her lap. They talked about Tommy, about her relief to see her brother was in good hands.  

"You've been so good to Tommy, Mary. I can't believe it took him so long to acknowledge it."

"You know Tommy. It takes time..."

"Oh, he's stubborn, this is the truth of it. My brother would never recognize happiness even if it slapped him in the face."

"Well... Ada. You know him better than I do." She smiled and then leaned her cheek into Ada's palm. "Do you think that Tommy would be happy to become a father again?"

"What do you mean? Are you pregnant?"

Mary shook her head and straightened her head. She ran her hand over her belly and took a deep breath. She wasn't pregnant but after a while, she started to think about being pregnant again. She was so young during her first pregnancy, she wasn't ready for it and she had nothing to help her overcome the grief caused by her child's death. Today things are different. She was older, she was loved by Tommy and she also had a step-son who loved her to bits. She was able to grieve properly and it allowed for her to speak on her late Paul without breaking down. A child... A child with Tom seemed like a beautiful thing, something she was now actively wishing for. 

"I'm not pregnant, Ada but I would like to be someday." - She confessed while looking up to Ada.- "In that situation, do you think he would be upset?"

"Are you seriously asking /me/? Mary, darling, you know damn well that Tom would be the happiest father. He never plans to be, but he's always happy with his kids. If he had a child with you, he would be thrilled. he would be so thrilled Mary and so would I be. An aunt? to your child? Oh, I would love it."

Mary's smile grew wider and she offered to take Ada's baby girl on her lap. Elisabeth reached out and let Mary place her on her lap. A child... A little Tom and Mary. She could imagine its face and the lovely smiles it could give her. She imagined Tom carrying the child and pressing kisses to her pregnant belly. She imagined Charlie enjoying his sibling and their family to be close-knit. 

"Ada... There's still a risk that a child becomes a target.  Have you seen what you're dealing with? Just imagine Tommy and I? He's an MP... it could be scan--"

"I don't bloody care about how people perceive my child. I don't think Tommy would care about it. We love you. He loves you more than he lets on and I think that he wouldn't mind about having that child with you."

"I... You're right. You're right... You're right... I guess I'm worrying too much."

"It wouldn't be you if you weren't worried, Mary. Besides, it's good to think and get ready for anything. Life with a Shelby can be a real rollercoaster."

"Tell me about it."

-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment