Friday, April 26, 2024

Colby: Anniversary

A/N: I felt the need to write something fluffy, some positive writing. I needed something to celebrate.

Xx


Mary mind-absently played with the diamond earrings Tommy gifted her as a coping mechanism for the stress she was experiencing.  Tommy was late and he was never late when they went on a date. All these people at the restaurant were making her nervous but she decided to ignore their curious stares on her. Tonight was special, he decided to take her out for a lovely dinner and asked for her to wait for her. So Mary kept touching her earrings to soothe herself. He told her to doll herself up so she did. Her hair was curly tonight and held together with a brooch she pinned on. Her brown locks were teasing her shoulders. Her dress was beautiful, with blue sequins that glamourized her waist and a back cleavage. Her feet were dressed with gorgeous blue stilettos. Mary sure was a looker and the minute she entered this fancy restaurant, the minute the world stopped running and all eyes were set on her. 


Mary could feel them looking her up and down and judging her figure, the color of her skin, her beauty, and her relevance in a place like this one. She was very aware of how society still had issues with accepting people like her. Mary remembered the awful welcome she had when she entered a bar to request a glass of water. She still remembered the beating she got, and the fact her only protection left was to warn Arthur. She still remembered the fear that crept into her heart and hurt her. It kept her on her toes and made her feel uncomfortable whenever she was in a public setting.


Just as it was becoming harder for her to handle being alone in such a huge place, Mary nearly screamed when she felt Tom's hand squeeze her shoulder. He kissed her forehead and then sat right next to her. The gangster made some efforts for the night and wore a tuxedo. He was handsome that evening and the nurse had to bite at her inner cheek because she didn't know how to react to him. He was perfect, of course, and the venue was beautiful. She's never been there, but she loved the lights and the table decorations.


« Tom. I didn't know you'd wear a tux tonight. »


« Well, you always complained about my business suits. I thought about wearing something new for a change. » -He smirked, giving Mary his infamous smirk that made her weak in the knees.  Mary furrowed her brows and then shook her head.  Tom added. « What? » 


« You're hiding something. Do you have that smirk you always have when you have a surprise? Where are we? Why are we here tonight? What do you have in your pocket? »


« Ahah don't be impatient. I have nothing in my pocket, we're here because I wanted you to feel beautiful tonight and enjoy the food and enjoy the wine. » He grinned and gently put both of his hands on the table.


« I don't believe you! That smile doesn't wash off of your face!» She said in an excited tone. As she tapped her fingers on the table,  Mary resumed talking « Okay I have a feeling today is a very important day but I can't place it. Help me out Tom, please ?! » 


Mary had no idea that tonight was their anniversary. Today was the day he took her to Arrow House. It marked the years they've been living together. He remembered how they met but at that time, he was still a married man and the encounter didn't mark him that much. Mary became someone important to him from the moment she came to his house. He wanted her to feel safe, he needed her to be alright because by the time she went there, she had shown how loyal and welcoming the Shelby Family was. Nothing forced her to help Arthur and his withdrawals. Nothing forced her to help Ada and some post-partum issues but she did. Nothing forced her to help him or his late wife Grace but she did.  She did.


He didn't know when his feelings started to grow for her, nor when exactly did he consider her as more than a friend so he picked the day she came to live with them to celebrate. After all, Mary had been a friend before she became a lover and he wanted to celebrate it too. Cheesy? Perhaps. Perhaps some guilt motivated his decision to take her out on a date. It had been so long since the two of them had some time together. Tom, as usual, was a prisoner of his own mind and lost himself to work. He spent so much time dealing with his business and politics that he had not seen Mary enough for his taste. he kept his eyes on her through his spies and the peaky blinders but it didn't need a lot for him to know he was neglecting her.


« Okay, I can give you a clue. Where are we? »


« I don't know the place! It's a.... fancy restaurant? » She said uncertain about the right answer.


« I think you didn't pay attention to the name of the restaurant. Look up the menu. »


Mary furrowed her brows but she took the menu. The name.... she didn't pay attention to the name when she arrived but the restaurant owner was someone she held dear in her life. Mary put the menu back on the table and widely opened her eyes as she stared at Tommy. Harry Langdon's restaurant was their venue. Harry and his mother Doris were her former neighbors in the shack she used to live at before Arrow House. They always treated her well and talked to her like a person rather than the way she presented. Harry always shared his meals with the nurse and she repaid them with private concerts. She had lost track of their whereabouts after she moved into Arrow House but still remembered their long nights spent talking about his dream to own a restaurant and here she was! He made his dream come true and that made the young woman gasp. Tom remembered she talked about the Langdons a long time ago and she thought that he didn't hear her or didn't care enough to remember but he did. 


« You didn't... You didn't do that. We... we're not in this... impossible. »


« Very possible. » He smiled at her, softly this time,  and held her hand tighter.


Her green eyes were filled with unshed tears as she stared at the gangster. She didn't know what to say nor what to do so Tom bent a bit forward and took her hand between his large hands.


« This isn't all. He reached out to me a few weeks ago upon learning you were living with me, and asked for a way to reach out to you. He wanted to thank you for the year you spent together and the hope you gave him. He wanted to show you how far he went and... » She was crying silent tears and didn't even notice. Tom gently stroked her soft cheek with the back of his hand. « How much he owed you. He wants you happy, Mary and so do I. »


« I'm so proud of him Tom. You have no idea of how /proud/ I am of him. » She put her hand over her plump lips and then cleaned another couple of tears that rolled down her cheeks. « He wasn't sure he was good enough but every time I ate his food, I could feel it. It was so good. » She smiled at Tom but straightened as he told her that it wasn't all he had in store for her. « Wait! You said there is more? »


« Do you trust me? » She nodded and held his hand tighter. « Good! Mary. I don't think you remember today as clearly as I do. It was the day you came to live at Arrow House. I didn't realize how much of a blessing this was until I...until I realized that you were my woman. »


«  I don't understand. » -It took some time for Mary to understand what Tom wanted to say and what it implied. It took some time for her to realize that he was actually giving her his utmost attention.-


« I'm celebrating the life we have together. I'm celebrating every moment we shared, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don't know how my life would have been if you weren't part of it, Mary. Being with you helped me when I thought I was long gone. You're the reason I didn't blow my brains out. You're the reason I'm still put together.  I  know I'm not home as much as you'd like, maybe, but please, I want you to know that I love the life we have together. You're... so good to me. You're so good to me, Mary. »


She was speechless. Her eyes were filled with tears she shed because she couldn't believe her ears. He took her to the restaurant of someone she held dear.  He professed his love for her in a way she never imagined he would do and on top of it all, he never ceased to stare into her eyes. He loved her. She knew he did but to have him say it made her heart soar.


« You don't know what you're saying! » -She blushed-


« I do. » He smiled at her, his hand still holding onto hers.  Tommy swallowed a lump and kissed the top of her head. « You make my demons go away when we're together and you've been such a good mother to our son. Such a good woman to me...I wanted to give back some of what you gave me.  I wanted to celebrate our anniversary today and I wanted you to be surrounded by people who love you. Happy 10th Anniversary, Mary»


« What do you mean surrounded? » 


Was all she could ask as her voice was breaking from the emotions she was experiencing. It was a mix of pride and joy and probably another feeling she couldn't name yet. Tom nodded and with a snap of his fingers, a projector focused on the curtain that was hiding a stage behind. Mary furrowed her brows as the curtain opened and she saw Henry and his mother, Ada and her children, Arthur and his wife Linda, Finn, Polly and Uncle Charlie, and Curly and little Charlie who was looking his best.  Mary couldn't help herself but kept crying and struggling to clean her face. The night couldn't get better and yet it did.  It felt like a dream! Mary couldn't contain herself. She smiled and cried as she couldn't believe it was happening for real. She looked at Tom and gave him a large smile. Her favorite song started to echo through the restaurant and the family and friends started to dance. Tom stood up and Mary looked at him with wet green eyes.


« I am happy because of you. I am happy when I am with you. I am so happy to have you in my life.  I love you, Thomas Shelby. I love you with my mighty heart and what you did tonight. I want to give it back a thousand times. Happy anniversary my love. »


« You already did Mary. I can't ask for more. So don't worry. Tonight, I felt like giving /you/ back all you gave me. It's your night. It's our night. Just enjoy. » -She stood up and grabbed his hand as he led her to the rest of the dancing group so they could dance together. She held onto him, green eyes focused on his blue ones, and smiled at her lover-



10 years. They shared 10 years together, made of adventures, fights, love, pain, and death. 10 years that saw their love blossom into what it is today: A strong beautiful bond that could never break. 10 years spent caring about the other, even when they were upset at each other. Mary always made sure to care for Tommy and his family and he ensured her safety. They survived being apart from one another whether it was because of his wanderlust or because of the business.

What could possibly break a bond like theirs? Nothing. He loved Mary and she loved him and that feeling was forged with fire and blood and tears and nobody, not even them, could take that away from Tom and Mary. 10 years was an eternity and if it had to happen the way it did, so they could be together today, then there was nothing to change at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment