Thursday, May 11, 2017

Pride and Asma : We do it your way

A/N: In desperate need for some levity and because Pride is super pretty. He heard of a very special award taking place in the town they are hiding at the moment. He overheard some of the juries talk about how the event was being controversial because acclaimed artist Asma Jensen was being snubbed. Asma had always wanted to win that award and worked very hard to get it and was disappointed when she saw they didn't even do an accolade. Upset to see her upset, Pride decided to break the rules and give her a shining moment.

Xxxxxx

Asma was snubbed! How dare they snub his Asma? Pride admired fine arts and he could notice it even among humans. Asma was extraordinary, for a human. She was kind, sweet and loving but her art was something that always caught his eye. She used to paint him using the memories induced by the deity she was hosting and he noticed that the likeness to all of her portrait regardless of the technique she used was very accurate. So, how could she be snubbed from the Galaxies Award? The most famous ceremony that awarded the best of their craft? She had been talking about it for a long time now, especially since she was afraid that her year-long absence would make people forget about her and her art. It was quite the opposite actually. People were, even more, talking about her now that she went MIA. It stung hard when Asma realized that years of hard work were all for nothing because it was snubbed. It was ignored, it was spot on. She kept her composure and didn't say anything but he knew her enough to notice the change in her behavior and how deeply hurt she was to have been insulted by her peers. One day that he went out to buy some supplies for her, he overheard a conversation of actual juries of the event, laughing and gossiping about how controversial the event was because they snubbed Asma. Then they went on dissing the poor girl about how  « passé » and « unoriginal » her art was, that most of it were portraits of a man who didn't exist -Pride series she simply called 'Reveries of a stranger '- and a few auto-portraits that speak of fantasy feelings (Hope mostly). And therefore she was a fraud at best and an incompetent at worst.

Pride wanted to destroy those humans he heard, but he realized that Asma might have been devastated to know she was snubbed and even more to know what her peers truly thought about her. Killing those humans would be too easy and wouldn't bring Asma the closure she needed, so Pride decided that the best way for him to actually help the human would be to humiliate those pesky humans and give Asma the triumph she truly needed. He observed her for a few days, noting how she tried to dismiss how disappointed and hurt she truly was. He worked in the shadows, sending his minions to lit the fire within her supporters so the outrage sparked by the controversy would turn into an actual boycott. That turned out great, big even and he managed to keep the information from her, banishing TV until his plan was completed. Asma repressed her emotions as much as she could and sketched her uncertainty about what truly made her her. Her art was part of herself, it was her real identity so of course, criticizing her art was taken personally. Maybe she should quit? The boycott was so harsh that it motivated the academy to change its opinion and to grant Asma the award she deserved. Pride kept it hidden from her and simply came to Asma with a box and flowers. He was wearing a tuxedo, making himself look magnificent.

« What are you doing ? Where are we going? »

« You were mopey all day, I figured that you needed some fresh air and given it's already the night, I thought about taking you to a fancy place. »

« A fancy place? Me ? Mopey ? What are you talking about? » She shook her head, refusing to acknowledge she was sad.

« Do I look like I am making suggestions? » He asked, curbing a brow. « You can't really hide from me you know? You're always so cheerful and happy that when you are not, it's easy to spot on something is wrong. So, I'm changing your mind tonight and I'm focused on you only. »

It was a string of words she couldn't understand. Why was he so kind? Pride wasn't an asshole -well he was one, but usually never bothered to explain why he was doing this or that unless she pushed him over the edge. He wasn't kind unless he wanted something. It sent a shiver down her spine and she shook her head. « Pride. »

« Go get dressed. » He said with a smirk. She grabbed the box and walked upstairs so she could change into the beautiful gown he bought for her. It was a white skin-tight sleeveless siren dress with pearls and silver fabric as a chest belt. She walked downstairs with her pink hair curled and a sober dark make-up that made her look like a stunning pin-up from the 40's. He watched as she came closer to him, uncertain, feeling overdressed while he was enjoying the sight of her.

« Why are you looking at me like that? »

« You're perfect. »He said, giving her an honest compliment as she indeed looked beautiful.

« Ah ?...Ah. Thank you, Pride. » She whispered, blushing hard as he grabbed her arm. How come after all this time Asma still doubted he ever found her beautiful? Maybe he was confused because she looked like his beloved. Maybe he wasn't confused and he found her beautiful, her very own beauty that transcended her physique. Just like Asma fell in love with what he truly was -despite not fully knowing what he truly was. There was a hell lot of information withdrawn from her-, he was « attracted » towards something within her. It couldn't be understood in human terms, but something within her was definitely « attractive. », different, beautiful.

She was still unsure about what Pride wanted but decided to shrug it off and give herself a good evening with the creature of her dreams. After all, regardless of the mess her situation was, Asma was still deeply in love with the sin and since they didn't see each other very often, any little time spent with him was welcome, so of course she didn't complain much about not knowing where they were going and why he was taking her out. He snapped his fingers and she realized they were at a backstage. It was the Galaxies award. Asma looked at Pride who grinned at her. Of course, she would be confused, she wouldn't understand. He successfully kept her in the dark for several weeks so she wouldn't know what was about to hit her with a force of a truck.

« I don't.... understand? » She managed to whisper as he held her by the small of her back so she didn't lose balance.

« I think you do. You know where you are. » He said his azure eyes staring at her golden ones. Asma's gaze widened and she shook her head. Petrified at the idea of going in there without knowing what the hell was happening.

« I don't understand. why are we here? »

« Tonight is the Galaxie awards ceremony am I right? » She nodded. « Then you shall know that they are about to announce the name of the winner of the painting category. »

« I already know who. I don't want to go. » She said, shaking her head. It wasn't her name that would be called tonight, why was Pride being so cruel that he would rub her humiliation on her face? She wanted to leave and started to run but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back against his chest and held her securely there. « P-Pride? What's going on? » She asked, seemingly worried about what was happening.

« You have nothing to fear. Everything is going to be alright. » He said with a grin before she heard they were announcing the name of the winner. « Do you trust me? » It was the first time he actually said this to her. She swallowed hard and clung to his vest.

« I do. » This was it. It was all. He needed her to remember she trusted him so she could relax.

«Good. I won't hurt you. I never would. » At least, not on purpose. He briefly closed his eyes and took a deep breath to invite her to do the same. « So, trust me, let's do this my way, shall we? »

« Y..-yes. We do it your way. » She said, imitating him. As she was regulating her breath, she finally heard her name and looked at him with eyes wide open once again. « What ?? »

« You won. You deserved that prize and they selfishly refused to give it to him. I decided to rile people up about this decision and your fans boycotted the event until they gave you that award. It's yours to take and I'm here to take it with you. » He said as they both walked on stage.

It was surreal for Asma, she couldn't understand how on Earth it was happening and yet here it was. Pride was smiling, out of pettiness and pride because he orchestrated everything and it worked just fine. Asma's face changed and he watched as they walked on stage and she took her prize. It was hard earned and it made her smile so much. She hadn't prepared a speech but decided to improvise a little something.

« Well... well. I have no family left to dedicate this award but I wanted to thank them anyway. For giving me life and the right tools to explore my potential. I had wonderful parents. I also.. I also had a dog, Rosie who was a true companion for so many years. Rosie left me but.. she was such a good girl. One I miss very much. I eeerr.. also wanted to thank my incredible muse, Pride. Who's been with me for as long as I can remember? He always motivated me to push forward, to make it better than the last and to keep fighting until I overcame the hardships I encountered when I was painting. He.. he is a true companion, a friend.. someone I deeply care about and without whom, none of this would be possible. At last, I would thank myself because I didn't give up when I should have. I kept pushing forward. I kept trying and I finally earned it back. I finally did.  But, It would not have been possible for me to win this award, without the fans of my work who worked together to make it happen. I owe you who I am today. I owe Pride..who I want to be tomorrow and I owe to myself, the strength to make those changes possible. Thank you. »

Her voice broke mid-speech but he gave her a light squeeze to let her know that he had her back. Asma walked away from the stage and when Pride came around, she simply hugged him, ugly crying in his chest because what he did made her happy. It really did.


(TBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment