Thursday, September 7, 2017

SoA: A slice of cake -Asma and Jess-

Asma finally visited Jessica several weeks after she burned the box with Oscar's belonging. She couldn't bring herself to leave her house, not even for work and stayed home for a while. They still talked through texts and phone calls because Jessica wanted to know what was going through her friend's head. There came a moment when Jessica asked for her friend to come over because it had been a while since they last talked so Asma agreed to do it. She baked a cake for Jessica and the boys, she took to Jess' house. The brunette had a sweet tooth, even more since she was pregnant. Besides,  what better way to talk about life than by sharing a delicious slice of cake and drink a delicious tea with it?

Asma had so much to talk about. She wanted to talk about the progress she made and how difficult it was for her to stay sober despite her best efforts. Yes, she was under pressure when Jessica gave her the box. She was feeling so bad that at some point she considered chugging down a bottle of wine but resisted the urge. She already gave into it a few months ago when Jax found her at the bar. Sure, Oscar finding her seriously put her efforts in jeopardy but Jessica was there and helped her friend stay sober. Why would burning a box impact on her resolve? She resisted which was really nice and even found a renewal of her strength since the accident happened.

"It's been a while since we last saw each other." Jessica began as Asma was cutting the cake for both of them. "How have you been?"

"Better...I've been better since...How--How are you doing?" She asked as she handed her the plate and fetched herself a slice. 

"Actually I'm doing okay. Awfully busy but okay and still sick as you can see but, not so much because of morning sickness. It's behind me."

"Oh, so the baby has settled nicely inside of you then?" Asma teased her as she poured hot water on two tea-cups and handed one to Jessica. 

"It's going to leave that body soon enough I hope." She said rubbing her round belly. It had grown in size since Oscar died and had Asma look at her best friend with a warm gaze. "I don't know how to feel about it. I mean... I'm getting used to being pregnant you know? I don't know if I want the baby to leave my body and meet this world."

"It's worth seeing you know?  The world. That baby has to meet its dad and its brothers. It has to grow into a beautiful person. It has to experience life despite you trying to protect it as much as you could, from the outside world."

"You got me Azz. I want to protect it from the world but at the same time, I am excited about that little bean meeting its dad and brothers for the first time." She said smiling to herself as she grabbed the cup of tea and smelled it.

"And aunts and uncles. Everybody wants to meet the baby, I included. I am thinking about a present cause I want to spoil it rotten before it's even conscious it is spoiled rotten." She said with a chuckle. "I want it to know that I did everything I could to stay alive and be decent enough for it to meet me. I am making efforts for you, for the baby, for myself. I've been sober for quite some time now..."

"Yes, more than a year! congratulations Asma!"

"Less than a year," Asma said, clearing her throat as Jessica put the teacup on the table. "I...failed. A couple of months ago, I would have celebrated my one year anniversary of being sober but I failed and gave into my urges and drank. I texted you that night but I messed up and Jax received it and came to me. We talked that night.." Asma bit her bottom lip and looked up at the ceiling as she felt shame overwhelm her. "He comforted me...Told me that it happened to slip and fail and go back to drinking when things got tough and they did. I had received the yellow rose, remember? I tried to leave but you kept me around but I was so stressed... I just..." She was about to cry but Jessica put her hand over her friend's. 

"It's okay Asma. It's a very difficult battle and you fought hard. You gave in one time and you started over. It's all that is being asked from you, to start over when you fall. I didn't know you drank that night but I am glad Jax found you. I am  glad you didn't drink after that." She said in a reassuring tone and squeezed her hand tighter. 

"You always know what to tell me. I feel much better with you here. It's just so difficult to talk about it  because I always fear you would turn your back on me."

"This is silly. I would not turn my back on you for any reason possible. I just wouldn't. We've been through thick and thin ever since we met and nothing is going to stop me from loving you"

"And I, you. So.." Asma sighed and took a sip of her tea. "About Jax and the boys, where are they?"

"I don't know Azz. All I know is that they are alright I guess? I want them home you know? I want Jax home but he's not coming back until shit's settled or whatever...I'll have to wait some more.And it's /killing me/! you know?!" She said munching on the slice of cake. Asma chuckled and nodded.

"I do know. I want to see Tig again."

"Ooohh...He's..he's taking good care of you right?" Asma nodded and then bit at her thumb.

"It was unexpected. I feel funny in the legs. My heart beats way too fast..He's a good guy I think"

"You are so cute when you're infatuated." It was welcome. It actually helped Jessica think of something else than Jax not being home and how much she cruelly missed him. Abel and Thomas ran around the living room, with toy cars in their hands as they were having fun together and then Thomas stopped and put his hands on Asma's legs.

"Can I have a slice of cake please?"

"I don't know, what does your mother say?" She asked, looking up at Jessica's face.

"Please mommy! I'd like a piece of cake!"

"I'd like one too!" Abel said, also laying his tiny hands onto Asma's lap. "Please mommy! I want some cake!"

"Ahahaahh jelly beans, maybe if you went and put your hands on mommy she would accept!"

"Asma you're terrible!" She said while the boys swarmed their mother with affection and big begging eyes. The cake smelled good and they enjoyed Asma's culinary skills so of course, they would not stop until one of them gave up. "I can't resist your faces and you asked so nicely. Here you are." She said cutting a big slice she then cut in two smaller slices and gave to each of the boys. "Take a seat and eat there." She watched as the boys brought their small chairs to the table and sat next to Jessica in order to eat in front of her.

"I love being terrible! Motherhood suits you very well." She said leaning her head against her warm palm.

"You think so?" Asma nodded and took another bite of her cake. "Yeah?" Asma nodded again. "Oh well... you're making me feel all mushy now."

"I'm just saying the truth. you're a great mother. You'll be great to your babe-in-waiting!"

"Babe-in-waiting?" She laughed, unable to hold back her laughter any longer. Asma wasn't even trying to make her laugh but there just was this moment of peace, where she was with her little ones and Asma, eating cake and laughing about life. Jessica needed a moment like this one and she was grateful to have Asma with her. They kept talking about Tig, Jax, parenthood and Asma's return to her parlor as well as her doing races again. It was a nice Sunday, with just the four of them and the boys being happy because they could eat some cake, Jessica feeling relaxed because her baby was healthy and she had her sister by her sides and Asma feeling at peace with Jessica by her sides. She smiled and hummed a soft tune as she drank her tea and talked with her sister and her nephews.

No comments:

Post a Comment