Saturday, May 5, 2018

(GoT): With each bite we taste paradise

// I did not give a context or a timeline because it could fit anywhere. I simply wanted to focus on the feelings and give some more details about her, like the branding scar she has on her back. She doesn't let many people in, and she'd rather choose you and come to you than the other way around. It's, again, just a blurb, nothing to take too seriously. That just happened when I saw this picture:)

« How should I address you, now that you are a princess? »

Missandei's voice distracted the princess who was training in her room. She didn't sleep for more than a couple of hours at night because more often than not, her mind told her of dangers that existed. She had to always be on edge in this cruel and uncertain world. If she wasn't careful, Bäahal could have been assaulted in her sleep or even worse, killed. If she wasn't careful, she could have been kidnapped and sold to another owner, much worse than the one she had at the moment. Bäahal's story was one of pain, of loss, of cruelty. She still had her back scarred and branded by one of her owners. she still remembered the public execution of her mother, who was punished because she tried to save her life. Bäahal still had her nightmares and memories of the people she was forced to kill.

« You should address me like always, 'Dei... » -She grinned and straightened up.-

In the confines of her room, she was free to dress as she pleased. Always she wore a pair of pants and a light shirt to help her move. Her moves were fluid, fast, hard, and precise. She stopped, her chest heaving up and down as she was trying to catch her breath back. Missandei and her have been knowing each other since they were children but their friendship truly blossomed when Bäahal's master moved to Mereen. Missandei grabbed the soft fabric on the bed and handed it to Bäahal who stopped training and grabbed the fabric. Bäahal had two silver daggers with ivory handles shaped like howls, those daggers were the only gift her master ever gave her. As soon as he realized she could become his personal assassin after she killed one of his rivals who tried to physically assault her, he let her choose her weapons. She could have had anything, from a sword to a bow made at his expense and she chose a pair of daggers. The howls were associated with one of the old gods, ensuring protection as well as revenge.

« So, you're saying I should call you Bäahal ?? » -A light chuckle escaped from her plump lips as she watched Bäahal's chest heave up and down.- « I can't do that, You're a princess now. »

« Only in name. I'm a princess only in name! » She said, throwing the fabric back onto the bed and running her hand through her silver locks. She leaned against the wall and crossed her arms over her chest.

« You have an actual family, Bäahal. You have a sister, it's not just a title. »

« We're not the same and she doesn't need me. » Bäahal lips were trembling and she bit her bottom lip. « I'm new at this. All my life it had always been my mother and me against the world. Then there was you... I know you. I don't know her and she's a queen. I've never been about conquest and ruling. I wouldn't even know what to do once she sits on the throne. » She was starting to panic and let herself sit on the cold floor.

« You're overwhelmed. » Missandei recognized that her friend was going through a panic attack. If it wasn't for her heavy breathing and panicked stare, it would have been the way she shook and the repeated hand gesture. She unclenched her fists and dropped her daggers on the floor and started to clench and unclench them rapidly. Missandei knelt in front of her. « Bäahal ?.. Bäahal, look at me. »

« We're not the same 'Dei. We're not the same. We don't even look the same. »

« You don't have to look the same to be family. The same blood runs through your veins. »

« The same blood might run through our veins, I am still a bastard. I am still less than a full-blooded Targaryen... I'm... I'm nothing! »

« You're a princess! » Missandei put her hands to her lips and gently kissed them, catching the princess' attention and helped her focus on something else than her thoughts. It seemed to work, a lot like it did in the past. The princess' fingers were still shaking but she was more focused. « You're a princess, and you are just like me and Grey Worm and the others. You know both of those worlds and you have the power to help shape it into a better place. » She cupped Bäahal's ebony cheek and stroked it with her soft thumb.

« I don't. That's where you're wrong. I don't have this power and if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it. Do you know how it feels to stand there and to think that you shouldn't because you're a fraud? Do you know how it feels to stand there and not know what to answer when they ask you what you truly desire? I can't even answer this simple question! I can't because I don't know the answer...I don't know what to do. I only know how to serve! She told me I wasn't there to serve her but if I am not serving.. then what should I do? Missandei....I'm scared. » She confessed and shut her eyes tight.

« You lost everything... Of course, you are scared, Bäahal. Do you remember what we used to tell each other during our meals? » She asked, her brown eyes staring at Bäahal's purple. <With each bite we taste paradise> She said in high valyrian. Bäahal's hands were starting to shake a lot less, which allowed Missandei to keep rubbing her hands, gently stroking her fingers to calm her friend. It was a sentence they said to each other during meals, in a way to encourage each other to appreciate every single moment of peace they could have. During meals, they weren't with their masters and they could breathe without fear. They could exist without fear. During meals, Bäahal wouldn't have to dance or pretend she was in absolute bliss. During meals, they could talk and share and actually feed their bellies until the next tantrum of their owners. Bäahal went to bed with an empty stomach at times so she knew how precious and vital those moments were.

<With each bite, we taste paradise.> She repeated, finally centering herself back to reality. Her breathing returned to normal and her tears stopped rolling on her cheeks. <With each bite, we taste paradise.>

« Yes.. we do. Look at us. We're both free and you are a princess now. The sister of my queen. I believe Fate brought us together and I cannot wait to see what will come next. You have a lot to lose now. We both have, but the Bäahal I know would fight teeth and nails to protect what she loves. »

« To protect who she loves. » -She corrected, a faint smile on her lips-

« Yes...To protect who you love. »


-TBC-

No comments:

Post a Comment