Saturday, September 29, 2018

like sunset

//Something a little personal: like Sunset

You were beautiful like Sunset,
I always wondered why I chose to compliment you that way, but it makes sense. When the sun is at its most vulnerable, when he's done for the day and retreats quietly to its safe place, then it is at its most beautiful. There is nothing to expect from a sunset, there is no more duty, it doesn't need a reason to be, it just is. The tired sun doesn't need to wear its golden colour and can allow itself to be fancy. sometimes it would drape itself with purple, other times it would drape itself with orange. it's always a surprise, and usually a beautiful one.

You were beautiful like sunset.
Yes, beautiful in that you didn't have to perform to be noticed. You didn't need to do something to exist in the eyes of others. You simply were and they gravitated around you, admired your glossy and ever-changing vibrant colours, and dreamed. I could tell by the way they were looking at you that they were trying to be in your shoes, have a little taste of freedom at its finest, of the unadulterated love you received and radiated. But even then, they only looked at you like a spectacle. You weren't a show, beloved. you weren't a painting they could watch at will, you didn't put yourself on display for their own entertainment. You were just you and I noticed you.

Maybe that was the reason you came to me. I couldn't care about the artifices you hid behind or the flashy colours you used to hide the pain and scars. I saw them, they were mine to some extent. Maybe that was what drove you to me, the fact we were kindred spirits....kindred yet different, like the waves answering to the rising moon and the setting sun. I was the ocean, singing and crashing against the shore, rising when you laid low. You were the setting sun, casting a warm light onto me, painting all over my waves the colours of your day. I don't know, maybe I'm too dramatic.

You were beautiful like Sunset.
You were honest, vulnerable and beautiful. Yes, beautiful, because you didn't wear the mask you used to wear during the day when you were with me. I got to know the real you. I got to see the smiles and the scars. I got to hear the sobs and the laughs. I got to be with you, truly, genuinely, to the point it even scared me. I don't think you know how much I love you. I don't think you realize how scared I am to lose you. Because just like the sunset, I let you in. I let /you/ in. and I let you fill all the empty and broken space in my heart and my head, I even let you touch my soul despite the risk of us to crash against a wall. I took a risk. And it was worth taking, every single time I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment