Sunday, June 18, 2017

SOA: the inks on my skin


"Many would believe that I became an inker because I wanted to escape from Oscar. He had ruined my chances to become an astronaut and I needed to get away from him and his abusive hands.
It's not completely wrong. I actually was looking for a way-out and knowing Oscar, he would have found me if I had a job close to what I used to be interested in. Space engineering.
But Inking people wasn't a random choice either. I believe that when you ink your skin you are telling a story. You are telling who you really are and wear it proudly. It never goes away, that sense of pride and that genuine joy you could feel when you look at your tats. I wanted to be the means people could express themselves and become their true selves.
I wanted to tell their stories and in a way empower them the way that was denied to me. I think I did a pretty good job. I can be proud of it. I tattooed myself, Of course, I didn't do the pieces on my back but I designed them so it's all the same. I told my story, wore my heartbreaks and fears on my skin like a testament of who I was. I told my dreams and joys on my skin like a testament of who I wanted to be.
It set me free. Fuck yes it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment