I realized that I have liked all of Ludwig Göransson's most recent work, but the works that really got my attention when I listened to them are: Black Panther 1 & 2, Oppenheimer, Sinners, Tenet, and The Odyssey.
Ludwig, for me, is what I think art is all about. You explore, you experiment, you convey emotions. Your work always makes others question it, feel it. Sometimes it can be instantly loved and sometimes even hated, but some of Ludwig's work grows on me over time. I did not love or even notice Tenet's soundtrack when I first watched the movie. My understanding and love for it came after I listened to the whole album in one session this summer. I found the musicality in this heavily electro-infused soundtrack. (My least favourite genre). I found a pattern, a conversation, and suddenly I realized that I loved the soundtrack. Oppenheimer's whole album took hold of me after I read an interview where he explained that, per Nolan's request, the soundtrack was to be "felt" rather than listened to. It took me two listening sessions to finally get it. The leitmotif and the conversation happening in the soundtrack. How "Oppenheimer - Can you hear the music- Destroyer of worlds" was a conversation, and the story it was telling.
Black Panther(1 & 2) and Sinners probably made me fall in love with his creative mind. The research he put into it, the desire for authenticity, connection, transcendence, and community you can feel while listening to the soundtrack. The Odyssey simply confirmed what I thought of Ludwig and cemented him in my heart as one of my favourite composers. He genuinely gives his all in his work, and he never takes it for granted. I think, and I say this as a very big Hans Zimmer fan, that if Ludwig keeps himself on track, he would not reach the "I sometimes parody myself and I have stopped pushing myself further" attitude Zimmer had until Dune popped up.
Is Ludwig Göransson everyone's cup of tea? Non. And he doesn't have to be, which is the beauty of art. I can only wish he keeps exploring, and perhaps, as a former pianist myself, I hope he would favor this instrument a little more in his next projects :p
xxxxxxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment