Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Doya: "I love my life."

"Long ago, my friend Sarah asked me if I wanted a white-picket-fenced life. I always said I didn't want one, but truth be told, it did cross my mind at least once. I imagined myself a housewife, with children I would raise to become the next generation of hunters. 

I imagined I would be the best wife my fiancé, Fabrice, would want me to be. I imagined a life, I thought I wanted.  Even then, something was off. I wasn't meant to stay home. I wasn't meant to have a sedentary life. I loved the thrill of the hunt way too much to stay home. 

When I lost the ability to become a mother, something I chose to save a child's life, it became clear to me that I didn't want the life Sarah was leading. It didn't appeal to me. I wanted the life I have...A life spent saving lives, killing monsters... A life spent on the road with my now-husband. 

The children he fathered a long time ago are now mine and I feel great pride when I hear from Kira and her brother. I felt great joy when they called me "mom" and called me their stepmom to others.  I like being in their lives. I love them. I love my life, no matter how shitty days can be."

No comments:

Post a Comment